Carbonara Egg Muffins

The egg muffin is probably the perfect Paleo breakfast on the go.  It’s portable but actually good for you and not something I’m going to get sick and tired of eating after a day and a half because you can do almost anything with it.  I guess you’re screwed if you don’t like eggs, though.  Sorry.

This is my first week back at work after my class ended, which is actually pretty terrible because I haven’t had to wake up at 4:30am and drive an hour into PT for three weeks.  It was wonderful.  I was waking up on my own accord, fixing coffee and breakfast, not running around like a crazy person trying to get my sh*t together…it’s the little things.  I almost forgot what it feels like to bang around the house in the dark trying to get ready without waking The Man, then undergoing the physical struggle it is not to fall asleep at the wheel.

The good news is that I’ve only got three more months of this crap commute…I’m moving in May!  I made it very clear to The Man that I will not live more than 20 minutes off post this time.  If I can sleep in an extra hour till 5:30, I will be much more pleasant to be around, trust me.  This is not up for discussion.

After my foray to San Antonio and adventures in hotel living, I’m a little OD’d on Paleo convenience food–nuts, Paleonola, sweet potatoes, etc.  The eggs and veggies in these are exactly what the doctor ordered…top with some guac, and you’ve got a nutritional powerhouse.  I’m a little puffier than I’d like, so the goal in the next few weeks is definitely to clean up my act…it would be great, too, if I could not look like a red balloon on my wedding day.  Just sayin’.

Carbonara Egg Muffins

(Makes 1 Dozen)

1 Small Spaghetti Squash (you’ll probably have some left over)

1 T Olive Oil

4 Slices Bacon

1 T Herbs de Provence

2 Cloves Garlic, minced

1 Onion, chopped

1 t Parsley

Salt and Pepper to taste

Bake the spaghetti squash whole for one hour at 400 degrees.  Remove and cool, then cut open and scoop out the innards with a fork and discard the seeds.

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat and cook the bacon until crisp, then add garlic and onion.  Cook until onions are translucent.

Beat the eggs in a large bowl or blender, adding the seasoning.

To assemble in greased muffin tins, spoon some of the spaghetti squash into the bottom of the cups.

Then spoon the bacon/onion mixture over the squash.

Then top with beaten eggs, allowing it to settle before placing in the oven.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes until firm to touch.  Store refrigerated in an airtight container.  They reheat really well in the microwave, although I thought the were awesome cold topped with guac!

(These were inspired by this dish, which I plan on making soon for their photo contest!)

10 Comments on Carbonara Egg Muffins

1. Kathy
    February 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm (3 years ago)

These sound wonderful but my takeaway was cooking the spaghetti squash whole! That’s fantastic because I always feel at risk for losing a finger trying to cut those suckers in half before cooking. Yay!!

2. Camilla
    February 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm (3 years ago)

OMG why would you do that to yourself??!! :)

Sure, it takes an extra 15-20 minutes of bake time, but I’ve come way too close to losing a finger and I’m pretty sure The Man is sick of me asking him to do it for me…depending on the size of the squash, I’d cook it for an hour to an hour and ten or fifteen minutes. If you’re doing something where you need the flesh a little less done (like stuffed Spaghetti Squash), go for 45-50.

3. Babs
    February 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm (3 years ago)

if u place the spagetti squash in the microwave a few minutes u can not only cut it much easier but also cut dowe on the cooking time….just suggesting….

4. NoGrainNoPain
    February 20, 2012 at 9:35 pm (3 years ago)

I love that you used spaghetti squash in this! I’ve made mini muffins w/ zucchini and sweet potato. But I always seem to have more spaghetti squash than I know what to do with :)

5. Erica
    October 9, 2012 at 11:48 am (2 years ago)

Yummy! I made a big batch of these this week. I also made the recipe from Paleo Parents that you linked :)

6. Lisa
    April 28, 2013 at 6:42 am (2 years ago)

This may be a silly questions but I am new to Paleo and trying to learn balance and to avoid hunger. If you were eating this, would you have one or two and what do you like to eat with it for a balance breakfast? Thanks!

April 28, 2013 at 7:24 am (2 years ago)

Personally, it depends on how long I’m planning on going before lunch or whatever. For breakfast at, say, 7am, I’d do like 3 or 4 and put some guacamole on them for extra fat. Or maybe 1 or 2 with a baked sweet potato or fruit. On Paleo, honestly, there’s no way to “balance” your meals. You just have to listen to your body and eat when you’re hungry, but eat whole, healthy foods.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Carbonara Egg Muffins

1. [...] Instead, I spent the morning in the kitchen, experimenting with these Carbonara Egg Muffins from TGIPaleo. [...]

2. [...] started off my Wednesday with two Carbonara Egg Muffins to fuel me through my long-delayed C25K [...]