Red Velvet Cupcakes

It’s not chocolate…it’s not vanilla…but dammit, it’s red and has cream cheese frosting.  What’s not to love?

You guys should be uber-thankful, too, because I made these before Valentine’s Day to share with you.  Never mind that Valentine’s Day is on a Tuesday and I won’t have any time to cook a decent dinner let alone dessert…somewhere out there, though, someone’s gonna score big all thanks to me.  Win.

Primal Red Velvet Cupcakes

2 Eggs, separated

2 1/2 c Almond Meal

1/2 c Coconut Oil, melted

1/2 c Honey

1 1/2 T Vanilla

1/2 t Sea Salt

1/2 t Baking Soda

3 t Cocoa Powder

2 T Red Food Coloring or Beet Juice**

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz Cream Cheese, softened

1/4 c Honey

3 T Heavy Whipping Cream

For the cupcakes, mix all the dry ingredients together until blended.  Add the egg yolks, food coloring, honey, vanilla, and coconut oil and beat with an electric mixer.

Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks (this is key for the cake-y texture, people!!).  Fold into the rest of the batter.  Spoon batter into paper cupcake liners.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.  Make sure they are cool before frosting.

For the frosting, beat all the ingredients until smooth and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 2-3 minutes total.

Share with someone you love!

**If you’re like me and you get wigged out using conventional food coloring, do what I did and use beet juice.  Just cut up a large beet into cubes and boil in 2 cups of water for 30 minutes.  You can also just take some from a can of beets.  The color isn’t as vibrant as the stuff from the little plastic tubes, but it gets the point across!)

29 Comments on Red Velvet Cupcakes

1. Janalyne
    February 20, 2012 at 11:17 pm (3 years ago)

Just stumbled across your blog and browsing some recipes…those look great! I will definitely be trying these out :)

2. Rebecca
    March 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm (3 years ago)

Out of curiosity, what is your creative process for coming up with recipes? I just made this as a cake (didn’t have the stuff for the icing), and it is out of this world!!!!!!! I may eat half of it tonight… Anyway, thank you!!!

March 9, 2012 at 5:47 am (3 years ago)

I’d actually like to do a post sometime soon on the subject. When I have an idea and it’s something like a cake or baked something that takes a little more work to keep on the Paleo side, I have to do a little research and work some trial and error. In this case, I looked at both Paleo and conventional cake recipes and figured beating the egg whites–the main difference between these and most Paleo cakes and muffins–might keep the texture nice and light, and it most certainly did! The food color idea with the beet juice isn’t mine at all…thanks, eHow!

• Amy
        December 19, 2012 at 11:14 am (2 years ago)

Stumbled upon your recipe while googling and would to try this out. I suck at “folding the eggwhites into the batter”. Is it really necessary to do that? Can I just mix in the egg like how you would w regular flour and stuff like that?

December 19, 2012 at 11:18 am (2 years ago)

Sadly…yes :-(

The fluffy egg whites helps the cupcake keep light and fluffy

3. Courteney
    May 1, 2012 at 12:48 pm (3 years ago)

How many cupcakes does this recipe make?

May 1, 2012 at 7:13 pm (3 years ago)

I made a dozen with this recipe the first time. Since then, I’ve started using the silicon liners and since they’re smaller, I get 14-16.

4. Anonymous
    July 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm (2 years ago)

Made these the other night, and they were DELISH.

5. Anonymous
    September 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm (2 years ago)

You are a genius! My family loves your recipes, especially my 4 and 7 year olds. It’s recipes like these that have helped my children make the transition into paleo. God bless you and your creativity!

September 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! I aim to please :-)

6. Amolish
    December 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm (2 years ago)

Does using raw honey make a difference??

December 19, 2012 at 3:42 pm (2 years ago)

Nah, just a little healthier :)

7. Anonymous
    January 15, 2013 at 2:10 pm (2 years ago)

Delish! Thanks!

8. Gift
    February 12, 2013 at 11:40 pm (2 years ago)

Yummy!!! I have almost everything to make this in my kitchen. Going to get beets this weekend!!! *drooling*

9. Erin
    February 14, 2013 at 11:20 am (2 years ago)

These were delicious – thanks for making this available.
    I’ll definitely be back for more – the frosting was outstanding, and whipping the egg whites really made a difference.

Check out my Facebook: Bandeau RX for non-slip headbands for the gym, at work or just for fun :)

February 14, 2013 at 11:27 am (2 years ago)

Thanks Erin! I’ll check em out!

10. Katie
    February 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm (2 years ago)

Is the cream cheese paleo? I thought dairy was forbidden? I’m a newbie here and just starting out.

11. marilyn
    March 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm (2 years ago)

I was so excited to make this for my son’s 8th birthday as his specific request was paleo red velvet. Sorry to say this was a huge disaster. Luckily i made a test cake. Some spilled and burned in the oven which created a hole lot of smoke. The WHOLE house smelled like pot! Seriously… marijuana smell in everyone’s hair and clothes. There was not enough lysol cans at home! The taste was pretty bad too. A real shame because all the paleo recipes I’ve done have been delicious.

Hoping for a better recipe. Sorry, don’t wanna sound like a Troll but, it wasnt good.

March 2, 2013 at 8:00 am (2 years ago)

Yikes! I’m so sorry! I wonder what happened?

• Meli
      August 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm (1 year ago)

Dang! Maybe you didnt use the right ingredients? Or… depends on where you live… if in the high altitude areas, that could be why. they tend to burn easily than non high altitude areas. Try again? did you try the cupcake muffin liners instead of cake pan?

12. Colleen
    July 2, 2013 at 12:39 am (1 year ago)

Does it matter if you use almond flour or almond meal? I bake a lot from elenas pantry and she always recommends almond flour when I have subbed almond meal in the past it tastes well…more mealy.

July 2, 2013 at 5:57 am (1 year ago)

I would absolutely recommend a more fine almond flour if you can get it, otherwise you’re right…it can be a little coarse.

13. Meli
    August 23, 2013 at 2:44 pm (1 year ago)

Wow… that is all I have to say… is… WOW! They are incredibly delicious. I made this recipe today. I added vanilla extract in cream cheese frosting recipe. It was wonderfully delicious and I got my fix! I love red velvet cake/cupcakes/cookies sooo much and I couldn’t find the perfect pale/primal recipe for this. Thanks!!!

14. Becky
    March 25, 2014 at 2:20 pm (8 months ago)

What does the “t” mean, tablespoon or teaspoon?

I assume table?

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Red Velvet Cupcakes

1. […] At TGIPaleo Red Velvet Cupcakes | […]

2. […] goods. Plus laboring for your food  makes you appreciate it much more! I follow the recipe from here for the batter, with shredded coconut […]