Avocado Brownies

Holy Guacamole!!

I love avocados oh-so-much…they’re nature’s butter!  I love them in guac, on salad, on eggs, or all by themselves.  If you’ve never devoured an entire avocado all by itself, you’re missing out on one of the richest culinary experiences nature has to offer.  Bonus points, too, if you can get all the flesh off the pit without using your hands…and without breaking your jaw on the pit.  Huh, maybe I need to socialize more.

What do I love more than avocados?  Um…chocolate.  Duh.

Last night I was ready to kick a puppy for something chocolate-y and hot from the oven…but alas, my cupboards were bare.  Instead, I drank about 50 cups of mint tea and went to bed all pouty.

But today was a new day, my friends.

4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate, melted in 1 T Coconut Oil

3 Small Avocados (or 2 Large)

1/2 c Honey

1/4 c Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

1 T Vanilla

1 T Coconut Flour

1/2 t Salt

Puree the avocado flesh in a food processor.  Make sure there are NO lumps left over…as good as chunky guacamole is, I can’t say that it’s all that good baked into a brownie.

Beat all remaining ingredients together with the avocado in a bowl with an electric mixer until really smooth and fluffy.

Spoon batter into a greased 8×8 baking dish.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out smooth.

***Finally, some shameless self-promotion:

Check out my guest post over at Whole9!

81 Comments on Avocado Brownies

1. Amy
    February 17, 2012 at 7:24 am (3 years ago)

I am making a MEATZA for dinner…I think this would make the perfect dessert! Thanks!

February 17, 2012 at 10:14 am (3 years ago)

Sounds like a great meal! Let me know how it goes!

2. Laurie
    February 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm (3 years ago)

These look like a fabulous post steak-date night treat! ;)

3. Louisa Lust
    February 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm (3 years ago)

This sounds so exciting! I love avocados and LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate! :-) Thanks!

4. Leona Harter, L. Ac.
    February 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm (3 years ago)

Yummy. Can’t wait to try these and pass the recipe on to my clients. Yummy and decadent! Can’t get any better than that.

5. Natalie
    February 20, 2012 at 8:48 pm (3 years ago)

These look great! Does anyone know the nutritional facts?

6. Monique
    February 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm (3 years ago)

Sounds fantastic! How long do they keep? I’m looking for grain-, legume-, and tree nut-free snacks that I can pack for a ski trip.

7. jswagger
    February 21, 2012 at 8:06 am (3 years ago)

I now regret coming into work today; I could be at home baking these brownies.

8. Erica
    February 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm (3 years ago)

Seriously, can you taste the avocado at ALL? I adore avocados, but my friend detests them. I really want to make something she will enjoy, too. We’re both on a no-grain, low-carb diet.

February 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm (3 years ago)

You really can’t! I added enough chocolate that it masks the flavor really well, and avocados are nice and mild anyway if they’re good and ripe.

9. Louise
    February 22, 2012 at 8:46 pm (3 years ago)

OH so good!!! Just made my first batch. Turned out absolutely perfect — moist but light, very more-ish. The kids are incredibly happy, but I’m bummed out that I have to share.

The ingredients remind me of the chocolate “pudding” that I make for them: Mash together an avocado & a ripe banana. Stir in 2Tbsp coconut milk or almond milk, 3-4Tbsp cocoa powder, ¼ tsp vanilla, pinch cinnamon, pinch salt, & 1Tbsp agave nectar. Whiz it all up, chill, enjoy!)

• Jessica Cobb
      March 17, 2012 at 5:33 pm (3 years ago)

THANK YOU for this. I was making a fudge pudding with silken tofu before we switched to GAPS. Why didn’t I think of avocado as a sub?!

10. Erica
    February 23, 2012 at 9:29 am (3 years ago)

OK, one last comment. Could I sub almond flour for the 1T of coconut flour? My friend, bless her heart, absolutely hates coconut and avocado, and I want her to be able to eat these. Can you taste ANY coconut? For me, I adore coconut and avocados and could just live on them, but I’m trying to get her to stop noshing on raisins and chocolate chips.

February 24, 2012 at 6:50 am (3 years ago)

I don’t think you can taste the coconut at all, but Ross said he could a little bit. Since the purpose of the coconut flour is to absorb some of the moisture and thicken the batter, I’m not sure how almond meal would work…you might have to use a bit more, like 2 or 3 T. I would also try arrowroot powder since it’s a good thickener, too…let me know if any of these work for you!

11. Julie
    February 26, 2012 at 8:32 pm (3 years ago)

I think I did something wrong. I was so excited about these brownies but my end result is not very good. I purchased 100% Cacao unsweetened chocolate and had all the ingredients you listed. I live in FL so I used 2 large FL avocados. The texture of the brownie is mushy even though I baked them more than 35 minutes. I’m just trying to figure our where I went wrong. Any suggestions?

February 27, 2012 at 5:20 am (3 years ago)

For the original recipe, I used 3 small Hass avocados, so I had about a cup and a quarter of flesh. Are you sure you put in enough eggs and the coconut flour? The extra tablespoon of coconut flour was the last fix I had to make before the texture was where I needed it to be!

• Anonymous
        December 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

Florida aocados are a different taste ad texture than hass.

• Grain-Free Family Eats
      February 29, 2012 at 6:21 pm (3 years ago)

I live in FL too, and our FL avocados are different in texture than the Haas. They have less fat content and tend to be more watery. I like them for making chocolate pudding, but they make a watery guac, and I imagine they are the reason your brownies were too soggy.

12. Julie D.
    March 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm (3 years ago)

Can you substitute the honey with raw agave?

March 4, 2012 at 9:55 am (3 years ago)

Yes. I prefer honey in general but agave or maple syrup would probably work as well. I find that agave is sweeter, so perhaps it would be best to use a little less so the brownies aren’t overly sweet.

• Louisa Lust
        March 4, 2012 at 9:58 am (3 years ago)

I have used agave syrup for the recipe but it turned out to be not sweet at all. I would use double the amount recommended for honey instead and see how it goes. Good luck!

13. Jessica Cobb
    March 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm (3 years ago)

Just put my first pan in the oven. I added a handful of spinach to the avocados before I pureed them. Fingers crossed!!!

14. Melissa
    March 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm (3 years ago)

I was excited to make these, the batter was so yummy…but after I baked them they tasted like a chocolate omlet, not so great. where did I go wrong?!

March 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm (3 years ago)

Hmmm…I’m not sure but that sucks! Did you mix it well enough? If you didn’t then the eggs may not have been incorporated into the batter…that’s why I always use an electric mixer!

15. Stefi
    March 28, 2012 at 10:12 pm (3 years ago)

Excellent recipe! Just munching on my first batch. I am an extra sweet tooth so I think next time I’ll either add some white sugar or maybe I’ll mush in one ripe banana or maybe just add more honey. Otherwise, the texture and taste is fantastic. For anyone worried about tastes of avocado, you can’t taste it at all. Just Yummy! Thanks :)

16. Danielle
    April 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm (2 years ago)

can i use canola oil and flour?

17. michelleannanderson
    April 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm (2 years ago)

These sound delicious! I think I’ll add a splash of coffee and a dash of cayenne or chipotle powder for an Aztec-ish twist. Thanks for the recipe!

April 26, 2012 at 8:42 pm (2 years ago)

Oh wow…you HAVE to tell me how that works. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican chocolate!

18. Jerusha
    May 3, 2012 at 7:26 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve made these a few times with some modifications like adding almond extract or making it into a chocolate spice brownie by adding lots of cinnamon and allspice. I’ve also made it using two avocados and one very ripe banana to add a little extra natural sweetness. I used almond flour cuz I didn’t have coconut flour but I also added a couple tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut and the texture was great. PS….a little tip on getting the pit out cleanly…after halving it stab the pit with a knife and you can twist it right out. Then use a wide flat spoon to scrape the meat out of the skin.

19. Dan Sizelove
    May 8, 2012 at 7:21 am (2 years ago)

I’ve experimented with a base of pureed black beans for my brownie recipe but this definitely has me inspired to try avocados instead. I imagine the finished product would be slightly more fudgie than my “beanies”.

20. ericagott
    June 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm (2 years ago)

I finally made this today. Oh, yeah, they’re good! I used local honey, but I didn’t find it very sweet. Until I paired it with Breyer’s Carbsmart vanilla ice cream. Orgasmic!

21. Michelle D
    July 11, 2012 at 8:07 pm (2 years ago)

Gosh darn it these were good! Looking forward to the end of the pan so I can make another batch and start finding fun ways to change the personality and customize with add ins :) Not that it needs anything more, these are perfect as is!

22. Robyn
    August 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm (2 years ago)

so delicious!! my friends actually prefered these to regular chocolate chip cookies!
    I baked the brownies for about an hour tho, because they were too cake like after 35 minutes. I also kept them in the freezer as they become a little firmer and theyre soosososo good wow!

23. Stacey Ashabranner
    September 4, 2012 at 10:47 pm (2 years ago)

Sounds great !!

24. Rachael
    September 16, 2012 at 8:20 am (2 years ago)

Loved these. Just about to make another batch today. I used sweetener instead of honey, since I cannot have honey or very much sugar. I’d never had black bean brownies, but my sisters tried my avocado brownies & said they were comparable if that helps anyone>>> I found them incredibly moist, but not icky texture wetness that some of the recipes have with moist ingredients (I eat Paleo (ish) and find a lot of baking is like that unless I tweak it). Just heading to the kitchen for another batch * a double this time* Mine kept in the fridge for almost 2 weeks, as the days went on the moisture and texture changed a bit, they got a bit ‘crisper’ but I still loved them and so did my family. They freeze great, and I think my favourite two things are A:) my 4 year old son LOVES THEM and B)I love eating them with my home-made coconut mousse/whipped cream.

Enjoy! Thank you soo much for this recipe. It has saved my chocolate tooth :)

25. kirikipress
    October 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm (2 years ago)

great blog! just stumbled upon it. Followed the recipe to a tee and it came out perfect!

26. Shaina
    October 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm (2 years ago)

These look AMAZING! I don’t have bakers chocolate just cocoa powder, do you think I could use cocoa powder and extra oil in place of the baking chocolate?? Thanks!

• cb
      December 11, 2012 at 10:58 am (2 years ago)

i have the same question….. only cocoa powder here. do you think i could just sub that in for the bakers chocolate??

December 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm (2 years ago)

No…the melted chocolate is meant to provide some of the moisture. Just using powder will make it dry and dense.

• Jerusha
      January 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm (2 years ago)

Yes, you can use cocoa and oil, the side of your container of cocoa should give you the appropriate ratio of cocoa to oil to equal one unsweetened square. Mine says 3 T cocoa and 1T oil equals a one ounce square.

27. Nancy
    November 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm (2 years ago)

Not sweet enough for me. I’m adding good ole sugar laden chocolate frosting.

28. Sarah
    December 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm (2 years ago)

Do trans-fat form when the avocado is baked?

December 10, 2012 at 6:31 am (2 years ago)

No–trans fat is the result of heating poly-unsaturated fat. Avocados are made up of mono-unsaturated fats.

29. small crock pot recipes
    December 27, 2012 at 8:18 am (2 years ago)

4. Toss meat for 1 to 2 minutes. This will help you decide whether you need an aluminum or stainless steel one.

30. Anonymous
    December 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm (2 years ago)

How many Carbs???

31. Anonymous
    January 16, 2013 at 6:46 am (2 years ago)

I was very excited to make them, unfortunately i followed the recipe to a T and it came out awful. They were perfectly cooked, had all the right ingredients…Chocolatey, yes. Overwhelming taste of avocado, yes.
    Not pleased.

• blair
      January 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm (2 years ago)

same. they smelled amazing but tasted foul. oh well, i was just looking for a reason to use up some avo from my csa as well as a 100% cacao bar that i couldn’t stomach but itself so i don’t feel too bad. it’s definitely the first time i’ve ever just thrown away a batch of something, though.

• Sara
      April 28, 2013 at 5:28 pm (1 year ago)

Same here. I’m just made these and they turned out just terrible. We are used to all these ingredients and I have no idea why they turned out tasting so badly. I’m very blue because I was very much looking forward this treat. :-(

32. Ashley
    February 13, 2013 at 11:08 am (2 years ago)

I finally got around to making these last night. We signed up for a 45-day paleo challenge and knew I’d be craving something after dinner. Instead of 2 avocados, I used 1 avocado and one banana. Also, after all was mixed, I decided I still tasted too much of the pure cocoa, so I added a heaping spoonful of organic almond butter and a teaspoon of agave. They came out great! Can taste a hint of the banana, but I love bananas, so I don’t mind! Would also be fabulous with some chopped walnuts added. Will definitely make these again!
    I paired them with some homemade almond milk. Yum!

33. Kim
    March 9, 2013 at 8:15 pm (2 years ago)

Found myself with a handful of rapidly ripening avocados and in need of a recipe to use them in. Found this and it turned out great. I only had semi-sweet chocolate and less than a 1/4 cup of honey in the cupboard. But I was really happy with the minimal sweetness. Great treat.

March 9, 2013 at 8:17 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked them!!

34. Jillian
    March 27, 2013 at 10:40 pm (2 years ago)

OMG, these are so good!! Do I need to put the leftovers in the fridge or are they ok on the counter?

March 28, 2013 at 6:46 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! I’d keep them in the fridge

• Jillian
        March 28, 2013 at 9:34 am (2 years ago)

Phew, guessed right. :)

35. Christina
    April 24, 2013 at 6:33 pm (1 year ago)

I made these tonight as a treat but used a 1/4 cup Splenda and 1/4 cup xylitol. They came out very spongy so I’m a little bummed out. I’m doing a completely sugar free diet so I can’t use honey. Have any suggestions for how to use the sugar substitutes but still have moist brownies? Are these brownies supposed to be moist?

April 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm (1 year ago)

I don’t use any kinds of artificial sweeteners, but you could try banana purée since it will still give you a gooey texture. Can’t vouch for how good they’d be though :-(

36. Leea
    April 27, 2013 at 3:39 pm (1 year ago)

These are soooooo goooooood! Moist and awesome! They will go great with the ice cream we made earlier.

37. Sue
    April 29, 2013 at 9:23 pm (1 year ago)

These were so delicious! I’m really impressed With how perfectly moist they are. I gave some to my Uncle and didn’t tell him the ingredients and he loved them.

38. Nathan
    May 10, 2013 at 8:25 pm (1 year ago)

These brownies are amazingly delicious, and so moist! I made a nice avocado-green topping for them by pureeing one avocado and one banana in the food processor. I will definitely have to make them again. Thanks for the great recipe!

39. Terra
    June 13, 2013 at 11:04 am (1 year ago)

I made these last night and they are amazing! I (obviously) snuck a bite with breakfast and they’re even better cold than warm, in my opinion.
    I did make a few substitutions.
    I used 1 medium haas avocado and one small banana instead of 3 avocados. My friend who isn’t a banana fan couldn’t taste it at all.
    I used 2.5t baking powder in place of baking soda, because that was what I had on hand.
    The texture is perfect for a brownie, not too gooey but not like cake either.
    I love the flavor but am also a huge dark chocolate fan. The friend I shared them with has a serious sweet tooth and wished they were a bit more sweet. She said she might drizzle chocolate or icing on hers.
    Neither of us are on Paleo diets, just healthy eaters, and we both said this was a success.
    Thanks for sharing!

40. Deidre
    August 20, 2013 at 4:15 pm (1 year ago)

Just made my first batch. I was skeptical at first but I have to say they are really good. I used two avocado’s and one banana. The texture is very good and the flavor is nice as well. Thanks for sharing.

41. Rob
    September 5, 2013 at 11:17 pm (1 year ago)

These brownies are incredibly good (and healthy too!!!) Serve with a generous dollop of whipped cream. Perfect.

42. Karen Brown
    October 21, 2013 at 1:20 pm (1 year ago)

My batch is in the oven, followed pretty much to your recipe. I used a 100% cacao bar and Hershey’s cacao powder, because that is what I had. They sure smell great. I can’t imagine not loving them, as the darker the chocolate is, the more I like it.

43. tiffany
    December 2, 2013 at 11:30 pm (11 months ago)

I used banana and didnt have enough vanilla so used a tiny splash of almond. Turned out great, thank you for sharing this recipe

44. Sarah
    April 11, 2014 at 3:27 pm (6 months ago)

I have never bought avocados before but they were on sale and I bought some on a whim; then I had to figure out what to do with them….found your brownies :) I didn’t have coconut flour or oil so I used 2 tsp regular flour and canola oil. They turned out very mushy and like pudding (awesome taste though!!!). As I looked through the ingredients I realized I left out the eggs (that’s what I get for paying more attention to my 2 young helpers than the recipe!) so that’s probably why, but after reading the comments I realized it could be in part the regular flour too. So before I make them again (and I will!!), is there something else I should add if I’m using regular flour to take some of the moisture out?

16Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Avocado Brownies

1. [...] one for dinner…Why?  Um…probably because in less than 24 hours my mega-batch of Avocado Brownies were gone.  I blame Ross for not being quick enough to keep me away from them. [...]

2. [...] the avocados.  Just like my brownies, we don’t want any [...]

3. [...] in alternative uses for avocado.  In one of his searches, he stumbled across a recipe for Avocado Brownies.  After checking the ingredients we had in the pantry, we had to make a few [...]

4. [...] an oil re-placer in baking!! Avocado makes brownies and cupcakes moist and delicious!! TGIPaleo has this great recipe for avocados in [...]

5. [...] exactly, and I was ad-libbing a bit from other paleo avocado brownies recipes out there, examples here, here, and here. But it looked pretty good so I crossed my fingers and [...]

6. [...] Avocado Brownies – one of my oldest recipes is STILL the top hit on the [...]

7. [...] I throw these Avocado Brownies your way last week?  If so, heck, here they are again.  Because OMG how good do they [...]

8. [...] Can you believe it! You can make brownies with avocados!  This paleo recipe by TGIPaleo calls for avocados, honey, coconut flour, and cocoa [...]

9. […] (adapted from TGIPaleo)INGREDIENTS3 Small ripe Avocados (or 2 Large)1/2 Cup plus 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup3 Eggs1/2 Cup […]