Sweet Potato Muffins

In place of my egg casserole this week I just made a batch of muffins to take into the office.  And I put chocolate in them…it was that kind of week, yes it was!

Um, so I also wrecked my car this week.  Like I said…that kind of week.  But I got a really nice rental and my baby ought to be good to go in about 10 days.  One problem, though, because we all know I can’t be trusted with nice things.  You know how they always warn you not to smoke or have pets in a rental?  Well, they’ve clearly never met me because while I was a good girl and didn’t smoke or bring the animals in the car, I did drive in a couple times (in the dark cuz it’s crazy early, of course) with my morning coffee and muffins in hand.  Turns out that when a chunk of chocolate falls on the seat and you sit on it, both your pants and upholstry look like you had explosive diarrhea.

Appetizing, huh?

2 Large Yams or Sweet Potatoes

2 c. Almond Meal

1/4 c. Flax Meal

2 t Cinnamon

1 t Vanilla

Optional: 1 c nuts, berries, or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

Wash the yams and wrap in foil.  Bake at 450 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes and allow to cool completely.  Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the innards into a bowl.  Discard the skins.

To the mashed yams, add the remaining ingredients and blend with an electric mixer until smooth.

Spoon batter into lined muffin tins (3/4 full) and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.  Makes 18.

18 Comments on Sweet Potato Muffins

1. Julia
    March 16, 2012 at 6:20 am (3 years ago)

Ha ha ha… have totally had that is it chocolate or is it poop experience! Classic. These look great and will have to try them. Love that there’s no added “sugar.” Thanks!

2. tgipaleo
    March 16, 2012 at 7:13 am (3 years ago)

Thanks ;)
    I almost never add sweeteners unless it’s a true “dessert”. Sweet potatoes and fruits like bananas are so sweet on their own and add great texture!

3. xxajpxx
    March 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm (3 years ago)

What are the nutritional values?

4. tgipaleo
    March 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm (3 years ago)

As far as nutritional values go, you can plug all the ingredients into FitDay or a similar product and find out! (I actually prefer Fat Secret but many people I know use FD)

5. Kristen
    July 1, 2012 at 11:41 pm (2 years ago)

I usually get 24 muffins out of this recipe, but I use large yams and 1 cup of chopped pecans. Each muffin is about 100 calories: 8g fat, 6g carbs, 4g protein, and only 1 gram of sugar! Because they aren’t full of (addictive) sugar, you can actually eat just one and feel satisfied. They are delicious, easy to make, require only a few (wholesome) ingredients, and did I mention that they are delicious? This is one of my favorite recipes! The muffins are great by themselves, but if you are looking to indulge, slather some coconut butter on them. Yummmm!

July 2, 2012 at 7:00 am (2 years ago)

I haven’t made these is a while…I need to try your version!

6. Ashley
    July 18, 2012 at 7:42 pm (2 years ago)

I sooo want to try this recipe, but am wondering if I can sub in coconut flour instead of almond meal? My husband has a nut allergy :(

July 19, 2012 at 6:12 am (2 years ago)

One-for-one substitution is tricky with nut and coconut flours. Try this version:

2 Medium Yams or Sweet Potatoes

1/2 c. Coconut Flour

1/2 c. Flax Meal

2 t Cinnamon

1 t Vanilla

Optional: 1 c nuts, berries, or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

Combine all ingredients. Pour into muffin tins or liners and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

7. Lisa
    September 1, 2012 at 7:45 am (2 years ago)

Could I shortcut and use canned sweet potatoes (or even canned pumpkin for a different flavor)? If so, how much would equal 2 sweet potatoes?

September 1, 2012 at 8:48 am (2 years ago)

Sure! One whole can would work!

• Lisa
        September 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! Thanks so much!

8. Pamela
    January 8, 2013 at 9:00 am (2 years ago)

I’m trying to decide between your two sweet potato muffin recipes… I find that almond meal can be a bit grainy in things like this… but I am somewhat afraid to try coconut flour – basically I hate the flavor of coconut flour… do you think you can taste it over the sweet potato flavor? Thanks!!

January 8, 2013 at 9:12 am (2 years ago)

I’ll be really honest–I prefer the flavor of the almond meal version, but I’m wary of overdoing the baked goods with nuts since the O-6 oils will oxidize in the oven.

• Pamela
        January 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm (2 years ago)

thanks!

9. Catherina Raycraft
    April 19, 2013 at 9:47 am (1 year ago)

While wild almond species are toxic, domesticated almonds are not; Jared Diamond argues that a common genetic mutation causes an absence of glycoside amygdalin, and this mutant was grown by early farmers, “at first unintentionally in the garbage heaps, and later intentionally in their orchards”. *

Most interesting content article on our own internet page

10. gift ideas for boss
    March 13, 2014 at 10:25 pm (6 months ago)

Kids are the easiest to buy gifts for at the dollar store.
    Kyocera phones are great for those who work outdoors in the elements or kids who tend to
    be the hardest on their mobile devices. Top 10 Most Wanted Christmas Gifts 2011: Electronic
    Gadgets, Baby Clothes, Jewelry and Other Great Ideas.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Sweet Potato Muffins

1. [...] “Wait a minute, you dummy…you already have a recipe for Sweet Potato Muffins!” [...]

2. [...] Potato Protein Muffins These delicious muffins were Saturday’s experiment. I had seen this recipe from TGIpaleo last month and couldn’t wait to try it out. I wanted them to be a little on the [...]