Sausage-Stuffed Apples

We’re back in Texas for the next two weeks…you know, for that special little day in 13 days.  You know.  My wedding!  *Eeek!!*

I’m really going to miss our home here more than I can say.  I’ve absolutely fallen in love with Austin and was really looking forward to settling down a bit after I got back from deployment, but what can I say?  The Army has other plans for me, and there are certainly worse places to be than right on the mountains of Colorado ;)

Anyhow, I had been floating an idea like this in my head for a while, since this picture on Pinterest got me wanting to stuff apples full of something and last night’s Iron Chef America (Flay v. Hastings) got me obsessed with sausage.

This was a great dinner.  Like…the kind of GREAT I can’t talk about on a family-friendly site.  It’s probably a good breakfast, too, but I adore breakfast-y, brunch-y stuff for dinner.  If you don’t you’re just not an American.  I know pretty much the whole Paleosphere is on a 21-Day Sugar Detox right now, but I beg you…BEG YOU…to drizzle a little maple syrup on top of these before stuffing them in your face.  Just a little.  It’ll be the difference between culinary perfection and Nirvana.  You’re welcome.

6 Granny Smith Apples

1 T Coconut Oil

1 lb Pork Sausage

1 Egg

1/2 Onion

1 Medium Carrot

1/4 c Pecans, chopped

1/4 c Chopped Dates

1/4 t Black Pepper

1/4 t Cinnamon

Carefully cut out the core of the apples and create a nice little cavity for the stuffing.  Leave at least 1/2″ of flesh all around.

Grate the onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, or at least dice them all really fine.  Set aside.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat and brown the sausage.  Remove to a mixing bowl, reserving the grease in the pan.  Add the veggies to the drippings and cook for 3-4 minutes.  Add veggies to ground sausage along with the pecans, dates, pepper, egg, and cinnamon.

15 Comments on Sausage-Stuffed Apples

1. thefoodee
    April 17, 2012 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for submitting this recipe to Foodee! Just wanted to let you know we posted it as our meal of the day. Cheers!

April 19, 2012 at 8:22 am (3 years ago)

Thanks! You guys are awesome!!

2. thefoodee
    April 17, 2012 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for submitting this recipe to Foodee, it looks great! Just wanted to let you know we were featuring it as the meal of the day…cheers!

3. magda
    April 20, 2012 at 8:56 am (3 years ago)

OMG, i LOVE this recipe! I have some leftover sausage (homemade by my dad!) so I’ll be making this for lunch tomorrow. I’m so glad I found this blog. I’m just starting my paleo/primal adventure and I’m a bit scared, but also excited to see where it takes me :) BTW, do you have any experience with chestnut flour in baked goods, pancakes etc.? Coconut flour is ridiculously expensive where I live :(

April 20, 2012 at 9:02 am (3 years ago)

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out for you :)

And no, I’ve never used chestnut flour but I’ve heard of it and even stumbled across a few recipes that used it…definitely worth a try!

• Magda
        April 21, 2012 at 10:40 am (3 years ago)

Made them – they are the best!!! Thanks again for the recipe :)

4. Jay
    June 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm (2 years ago)

Dude….seriously. Dude…..

That’s what my brother said when he had his first bite. Everybody agrees including me.

5. Crystal
    October 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm (2 years ago)

Just an FYI, this is my husband’s and my favorite meal. You are a genius.

October 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you! I’m glad you like it :)

6. Jazmin
    December 29, 2012 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

These apples are my favorite!!!! My kids really enjoy them too!

December 29, 2012 at 10:34 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! I love them too!

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Sausage-Stuffed Apples

1. […] Fill the apples with the sausage stuffing and arrange in a baking dish.  Sprinkle the tops with a little more cinnamon if desired.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, until heated through. -via TGIPaleo.com […]

2. […] Sausage Stuffed Apples – sausage and apple just go perfect […]

3. […] dinner was sausage stuffed apples. It was REALLY good! Secret ingredient? Cinnamon! It really adds some nice flavor!  There is extra […]

4. […] made a Sausage Stuffed Apple for dinner.  But I didn’t want to eat a whole apple so I made one with a bell pepper and […]