Whatever-Nut Butter Cookies

I haven’t made or even had cookies in quite a while, and I feel bad because they can be a very under-appreciated dessert.  I think they get a bad rap because they get bastardized by the likes of Oreos and the Girl Scouts.  Totally unfair.  Even if you don’t even like cookies, who the hell can resist a kitchen that’s got fresh-baked-cookie-smell wafting out of the oven??  Only crazy people, that’s who.

I made these last night (along with a pretty stellar dinner if I should say so myself) for Ross’s and my last night together before he goes back to Texas to finish out-processing from the Army.  Can you tell we’re both emotional eaters?  Besides, it was a long week of moving, starting a new job, unpacking the new house, and having my car break down…wait for it…for a FOURTH TIME in 2 months.  These were desperately needed.  And luckily I have a ton left over…Ross left this morning and I cried for about 2 hours straight whilst drinking wine by myself on the couch and eating cookies and watching Scandal.  Good lunch!

One more thing…I call these “nut butter” cookies because I hate to discriminate when it comes to nut butters.  Seriously.  At this moment we’ve got sunflower seed butter, almond butter, pecan butter, cashew butter, and walnut butter floating around somewhere and they’d all be equally good as the base of this recipe.  Hell, throw in a little of each (my preferred solution!).  You’ve got the richness of pecans, the butteriness of the cashews, the heartiness of the walnuts…so, yes, I’m an equal opportunity cookie-baker.  Because everyone gets tired of plain old almond butter sometimes.

(Adapted from my absolute favorite chocolate chip cookies)

3 c. Almond Meal

1 t Salt

1/2 c. Local Honey

2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk

1 t Vanilla

1/2 c Nut Butter of Choice

1 Bag Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks (or Chips)

Whisk all dry ingredients together.  Add the eggs, nut butter, vanilla, and honey and blend well by hand or with an electric mixer.

Grease 2 large cookie sheets.  Make golf-ball sized dough balls and press them down lightly on the cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees for 13 minutes, or until golden brown.

Makes 18.

23 Comments on Whatever-Nut Butter Cookies

1. jenrodda
    May 6, 2012 at 10:15 am (3 years ago)

Your food is amazing. You should open a paleo cafe. Thanks for sharing all your culinary endeavors!

May 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you! Trust me, owning a Paleo cafe (on the beach!) would be heaven on earth for me!

2. The Humble Foodie
    May 7, 2012 at 8:32 am (3 years ago)

These look amazing and so delicious. I’m bookmarking this recipe for when I finish my Whole30. Thanks for sharing!

May 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm (3 years ago)

Great! I hope you like them!

3. Julia Pinkie Pie Mcwilliam
    May 11, 2012 at 9:31 am (3 years ago)

I’ve been Paleo of 4 days and this is one of the best recipe sites I’ve come across :D

4. jenn in GA
    May 13, 2012 at 7:06 am (3 years ago)

made these this morning as a Mother’s Day present to myself, and to congratulate myself for completing my first Whole30. these are wonderful! i halved the honey because i wanted to use up some sugared almond butter i bought accidentally. perfect! the only weird thing was that the length of time you said to cook them–13 min.–resulted in very done cookies here, so i cut the time back to 8 min. and got perfectly soft, chewy cookies! hope you’re doing well without your man, and that you’ve found a gym. thanks for all you share! you are stronger than you know.

5. Neghar
    May 17, 2012 at 6:09 am (3 years ago)

LOVE these! Thank you! I used a little stevia instead of honey and baked for 12 minutes. They weren’t super sweet (which I prefer anyway) and my 6 year old-who always balks at my gluten free treats-gobbled up 3. Your recipes always give me so much inspiration!

6. Lisa
    May 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm (3 years ago)

Just pulled the first batch out of the oven and these are wonderful! I also needed a bit lower temp and shorter baking time as bottoms were burning on my dark cookie sheets. Thank you for this recipe!

7. llball
    May 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm (3 years ago)

Just pulled my first batch out the oven and they are so good! I also needed a slightly lower oven temp and shorter baking time given my dark colored cookie sheets as the bottoms were burning at the suggested temp and time. Thanks so much for this recipe. I am going to try Stevia in the next batch as Neghar did and see how they turn out.

8. LB
    June 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm (2 years ago)

Can almond flour be substituted for almond meal. Is it the same?

June 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm (2 years ago)

They are the same, yes!

9. jenbusybee
    July 11, 2012 at 7:16 am (2 years ago)

I made these a couple of days ago and the first batch came out dry and a little overcooked. I shortened the cooking time to 8 minutes and they were much better, but I think I will lower the temp to 350 next time. I must have made my cookies a lot smaller than yours because I got more than double out of my batter! I froze have of them so I can cook up some fresh cookies when I’m craving them. My batter was also REALLY thick and I thought I might burn out the motor on my hand mixer. Was yours like this? I am thinking it might be because I used cold almond butter. Next time I will try these with room temperature sunbutter. Overall a good recipe, just need to make sure they don’t get overcooked! Thanks for your yummy recipes. I’m going to try the cookie dough brownies next!

10. Anonymous
    July 16, 2012 at 11:24 am (2 years ago)

will these cookies stay fresh if i mail them to someone in college, about 5 days?

July 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm (2 years ago)

They should–I actually sent a batch from Colorado to Washington, DC a month ago. Just be sure to wrap them up in plenty of plastic :)

• Anonymous
        July 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm (2 years ago)

thanks! i can’t wait to try them!

11. Suki
    August 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm (2 years ago)

I read about your nut crisis and would like to make these with coconut flour instead. I’m wondering if it would be an equal substitution or if I would have to add more or less coconut flour or maybe flax meal?

August 20, 2012 at 10:49 am (2 years ago)

Definitely less. Coconut meal absorbs a ton of liquid so you have to be reall careful or they’ll end up dry

12. M
    October 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm (2 years ago)

Great recipe
    Cooked them at 375 for 10 minutes, they came out nicely browned. Cookies stay moist if kept in plastic bag. Will try agave nectar amber instead of honey next time to see if I can get that brown sugar goodness.

13. Stephanie Ryde
    February 5, 2014 at 6:16 pm (10 months ago)

Love the website! I love these cookies but everytime I make them they turn bright green on the inside. I use sunflower seed butter, is that the cause? They still taste great but look so wrong!

February 6, 2014 at 7:13 am (10 months ago)

Yep! Something in the sunflower seed butter reacts with baking soda I believe…

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Whatever-Nut Butter Cookies

1. […] if I can have those indulgences then why not!?!? So, I made some Nut Butter Cookies. Recipe here.  I subbed honey for agave nectar as I read somewhere that agave actually spikes your blood […]

2. […] Whatever-Nut Butter Cookies – another case of me throwing some random crap into a bowl and making something […]