Defiant Pumpkin Bars

I had REALLY wanted to break out of my funk and make a firm decision on a Crossfit gym this weekend.  I mean, Colorado is stupid with Crossfit gyms.  In C-Springs alone there’s like 15, including a couple of places that cater to military-specific training.  Plus Ross left Saturday, so I’ve been a total loser at home–all day yesterday I cried, ate, slept, and repeated more times than you’ll ever get to know.  Don’t you judge me.

HOWEVER…I ran into one little problem.  Every Crossfit gym in the state was closed for Regionals.  Just goes to show you where my head’s at lately.  Or that other people are just terrible at catering to my needs.  I mean…Regionals?  How dare they?!

Speaking of Crossfit gyms, I really miss my old one.  Like, really.  And I’m terrible at unfamiliar social situations.  I may not make it out of here alive.

My recipe today comes from my old gym–I’m getting nostalgic, what can I say?  I played with some of the seasoning and switched the almond butter out for coconut butter to nix some of the omega-6 overload and to my delight they tasted even better than before.  Now that I have an actual porch I can dunk them in my coffee in the cool evening hours as I watch the sun set over Pikes Peak.  And maybe write a poem about it.  I am so cool.

1 c Coconut Butter

3/4 c Organic Canned Pumpkin

1/4 c Honey

1/2 t Salt

1 t Cinnamon

1/2 t Nutmeg

1/4 t Ground Cloves

1 t Grated Fresh Ginger

Beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer.  Pour into a greased 8×8 inch pan and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

(Adapted from this recipe)

7 Comments on Defiant Pumpkin Bars

1. Jamee
    May 8, 2012 at 8:15 am (2 years ago)

I totally know what you mean. I am looking for a Crossfit gym right now too. I am sure you will find one and they will make you feel warm and welcome.
    I have a brand new jar of Coconut Butter that wants to be used… I might just have to try these bars.

2. D. Neff
    September 12, 2012 at 12:07 pm (2 years ago)

I’m not sure what I did wrong on this recipe, but it didn’t turn out at all. :( Should it have any flour in it (coconut or almond). Is 1 cup of Coconut Oil too much?

September 12, 2012 at 5:45 pm (2 years ago)

Did you use coconut OIL or coconut BUTTER? They are 2 different things and that would explain if it didn’t come out. Coconut butter is a lot more solid. You can use 1 c Nut butter if you prefer and it will come out nicely, too!

3. Afura
    October 11, 2012 at 10:46 pm (2 years ago)

I had problems where mine did not turn out either, very mushy. I couldn’t find coconut butter, but I was able to find coconut spread, which said it was for baking as well. It did seem like something was missing to help set the recipe. I’m sure it’ll be good on something, however, and due to your recipe I found out about the existence of coconut butter. :D

October 12, 2012 at 6:22 am (2 years ago)

Yeah…the coconut butter is pretty key, but if you’re OK with cooking with nuts, I’d try raw almond butter if you can’t find coconut butter. It can be a little elusive at the grocery store…

• Afura
        January 20, 2013 at 9:08 pm (2 years ago)

I wanted to follow up on this, as I did go back to Whole Foods and found the Coconut Butter. I think my main confusion is that I was thinking it was like a milk butter, not a nut butter, which makes all the difference in the world. Using the actual coconut butter (I found it at Whole Foods in the aisle with the baking supplies, the Artisana brand) it makes a delicious bar. I didn’t let it cook long enough (brown on top, but really soft) or I used too much oil, so it was rather soft, but it still tastes delicious.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Defiant Pumpkin Bars