Crockpot Asian-Style Carnitas

It’s like Mexican and Chinese takeout had a delicious baby.

You know the best thing about this dish?  It’s  even good cold and leftover when you’re drunk and stumbling around like an idiot looking for something to eat at midnight.  Thank God I found it before I found the bag of dark chocolate in the pantry.  Yeah, I know…who’s a winner?  THIS GIRL.

I was so hungover enough this morning that it hurt to blink.  OMG.  And I missed yoga, and missing yoga makes me cranky.  AND one of the dogs pooped on the floor and I had to shampoo the carpet…before I’d had coffee.  This is why it’s better to own, people.

Thankfully Paleo breakfasts are the single best thing for a hangover.  And coffee.  LOTS of coffee.

3 lbs Pork Shoulder, cut into large cubes

1/4 c Sesame Oil

6 Cloves Garlic, minced

1/4 c Rice Vinegar

2 T Fresh Ginger, grated

1/4 c Fresh chives, chopped

1/4 c Coconut Aminos

Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, ginger, chives, and coconut aminos with salt and pepper to taste.  Add the cubed pork and stir to combine.  Dump the whole thing in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for at least 6 hours.

Remove cooked pork and spread out in a large baking dish.  Broil for 8-10 minutes until each piece is browned and slightly crispy.

14 Comments on Crockpot Asian-Style Carnitas

1. Amy
    June 3, 2012 at 7:23 pm (2 years ago)

I have always referred to owning people (having children) is like having really bad pets. your dog will always love you, while your teenage daughter may not.

<3 me some crockpot pork! I just happen to have a shoulder in my fridge right now so I just might have to try this.

2. tgipaleo
    June 4, 2012 at 7:42 am (2 years ago)

I know…They just give you that look and even hungover and under-caffeinated I can’t be mad!

3. jen
    June 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm (2 years ago)

What is coconut aminois

4. Lorraine
    June 13, 2012 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

I made this last night and it was delicious! I love your site. I came here from the link on MDA for the Lebanese Lamb Loaf (which I made that night — also really good). So happy I found your site!

5. John F.
    June 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm (2 years ago)

This recipe was delicious. I made it with a thick 3 lb. ham slice, can only imagine it would be much better with a nice, fatty shoulder. The leaner ham slice got a little dry in the broiling so I used the pot liquid as a dipping sauce. Problem solved.

Also, I assumed you meant the darker, toasted sesame oil, not the light stuff made for frying.

6. Anonymous
    August 24, 2012 at 8:19 pm (2 years ago)

how many people does this serve???

7. Anonymous
    August 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm (2 years ago)

how many people does this serve?? sounds wonderful!

August 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

About 4-6 depending on how much you can eat!

• John
        August 25, 2012 at 3:25 am (2 years ago)

This cooking method is great. I use it with chunks of uncured ham. I’ve also made a more Mexican version with olive oil, lime juice and Tapatio sauce.

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Crockpot Asian-Style Carnitas

1. [...] have a hankering for fast food. (Ok probably not.) Regardless, this will taste better. Day 23: Crockpot Asian Style Carnitas Listen I would eat trash can style carnitas. I love pork! But these are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better [...]

2. [...] found a recipe for CrockPot Asian-Style Carnitas and decided to double it (the original recipe calls for 3 pounds of pork shoulder, while I used a [...]

3. [...] and veggies you want and leave it all day.  Some of my favorites are  pork shoulder, pork belly, carnitas, and whole chicken.  All take minutes to prepare, are cheap, and will feed a [...]