Peach Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake

Peaches are here!  I very well may have overdone it just a little when I came home from Whole Foods on Friday with two dozen peaches, but I guess that just means I have to get creative.  Damn.

So this recipe wasn’t completely my idea.  Thanks, Pinterest…again.  What can I say?  Makes the work day go by faster.  Wait, what?

I consider this cake quite the accomplishment–Paleo baking of any kind can be a pretty tedious process.  Getting a good texture that’s not too dry or gritty or goopey takes some trial and error.  And then there’s the challenge of getting an entire cake to bake evenly over muffins or even splitting the batter between two, 9-inch pans…and making sure the texture of the batter and the cooking time are sufficient to get the damn thing out of a ribbed bundt pan intact…yeah, ok, I’ll stop.  But know that this cake was a labor of love.  A lot of good peaches went in and will never come back…

What I ended up with is a sinfully rich, not-too-sweet, summery cake with a moist, fine texture.  Nope, no grittiness here!  I also appreciate how peach chunks kind of melt into the batter as it bakes and marbles the whole thing…giving us some AH-mazing little pockets of peachy goodness.  (I really do wish the outside was a lighter golden brown like the wheat-based original, but coconut flour is like that sometimes…and the flavor definitely did NOT suffer).  If you don’t have a bundt pan, just go ahead and bake it into a loaf (it’ll be a helluva lot easier to get out of the pan).  While you’re at it, I bet you could cut it into slice and make a pretty bangin’ almond butter and honey sandwich.  Or French toast…Oh.  Hell.  Yes.

One thing you absolutely cannot change in this cake is the ridiculous amount of butter.  Don’t be Pansy-Bakers.  The butter is what makes this cake.  Butter is what makes life worth living.

2 T Arrowroot Powder

1 c Pastured Butter (or Palm Shortening if dairy-free)

1/3 c Raw Honey

4 Ripe Peaches

1 t Sea Salt

1 Vanilla Bean, split

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk your dry ingredients together and set aside.

Take two of your peaches and cut into chunks.  Using a food processor or blender, puree until you have a peachy slush.  If needed, add a couple of tablespoons of water to help things along.  Cube the other two peaches and set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and honey.  Add the eggs one at a time and beat until frothy and well combined.  Add the peach puree.

Bit by bit, add the dry mixture and continue blending.  With a spoon, mix in the vanilla bean and the last two peaches.

Generously grease a 10-inch bundt pan (or loaf pan) with coconut oil.  Spoon the batter into the pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

Serve with coffee.  Lots of coffee.

12 Comments on Peach Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake

1. Alex
    June 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh, this is luscious. I never seem to have more than two peaches ripe at a time, though, and even then I just can’t seem to feel justified baking their deliciousness into anything…even if complimented with a whopping cup of butter! ; )

2. Jennifer Ugarte
    June 22, 2012 at 9:43 pm (2 years ago)

I’m gonna make this for some friends next week. Thanks for sharing! One question though, would coconut oil work just the same? How about nut butters? My body doesn’t handle dairy well. I’d appreciate your input! Thanks :)

June 23, 2012 at 6:19 am (2 years ago)

Coconut oil is probably your best bet. I find that it provides an excellent texture for cakes and cupcakes since nut butters are a little heavier. If you wanted to Ty a nut butter, though, cashew butter is really creamy and “buttery” in flavor.

• Jennifer Ugarte
        June 28, 2012 at 5:38 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for your response! I’m borrowing my mom’s cake pan and I got some peaches! Would vanilla extract work just the same? A couple of teaspoons?

You recipes are great, thanks for posting. This Saturday I’m going to try the carnitas and this cake :)

June 28, 2012 at 6:53 am (2 years ago)

A killer combo!

• Anonymous
            June 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm (2 years ago)

Ha! So i got in a fight with my friend over WHY am i making a peach cake when she doesn’t care for peaches and why aren’t i making a strawberry cake! LOL… I’m gonna make this one and a strawbverry variation, and i might make a glaze for them. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I’m excited!

• cholitau
            July 2, 2012 at 8:14 am (2 years ago)

SO i made the cake on the weekend. Made the one with strawberries too. My friends liked them… i think i just don’t eat sweets enough anymore to tell if it’s good or not… i made a sugar glaze coating for the peach cake :) they loved that!
            Do you think that butter and coconut oil may bot be interchangeable? i used a cup of coconut oil and i think it was too much, they cakes were a bit too moist with oil, i even had to press down on them a bit to soak it up. What d oyou think? I wanna learn cause i don’t want to retire from my baking ‘career’… LOL… i thin i may move over to pies. HAHAH!

July 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve had similar issues trying to use coconut oil in baked goods, probably thanks to the added moisture from the peaches. Have you tried palm shortening before? It’s a lot more “solid” but still keeps things nice and moist!

• cholitau
            July 3, 2012 at 7:49 am (2 years ago)

Ive never tried palm shortening, but i will. i’ll redeem myself and try it again! :) Many eggs will get hurt in the process…

3. Sofia
    June 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm (2 years ago)

Wow, this is everything a cake should be, I’m eating it right now! only made half the recipe though, for safety reasons (absolutely no self control. none. at all.)

4. Debbie
    July 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm (5 days ago)

How long did you let it cool before taking it out of the pan? I must have taken it out too early because it stuck and broke into 3 pieces.