Cookie Dough Brownies

Confession…I eat dessert.  Because I like it–wait, no–I LOVE IT.  And I’m not one of those people who’s OK with a bowl of fruit, either.  There are days when I just have a physical need for something creamy, fatty, sweet, chocolatey…you name it.  I just do.

Say what you want.  Brownies and donuts aren’t a daily thing for me–hell, they’re not even a weekly thing for the most part–but I’m sure a better person just wouldn’t partake.  Or would be OK with fruit for dessert.  Ew.

Sugar is the devil, I don’t think that’s up for debate.  I know that, you know that.  Let’s move on.  I will never give up my indulgences.  I won’t even call them “cheats” because they’re a pretty permanent part of my life.  I fuel my body with the best quality foods I can and I keep the best habits I can to stay healthy–and part of that is staying sane.  My desserts are Paleo and made of the best possible ingredients–raw honey, pastured eggs, soy/wheat/dairy-free chocolate, etc–but yes, they are still desserts.  You got me.

Maybe Grok didn’t eat brownies while catching up on four hours of Fashion Police at 8am on a Sunday morning, but I do.  Get over it.

Aaaaaaaaand to follow my little rant, I have what may very well be the most decadent and delicious dessert that has come out of my kitchen to date.  Really wishing I could have preceded this with a nicer rant about sunshine and rainbows and unicorn turds…you’re welcome.

As my gift to you, too–the cookie dough can totally be made by itself–by the bowlful–for shameless (and solo) consumption in front of Glee reruns on a Friday night.  I mean, I would think that would be a good idea.  For someone else.  Yeah…

**Brownie Layer…**

1/2 t Sea Salt

1 t Vanilla

3 T Coconut Butter

3 T Coconut Oil

1 c Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips

For the brownies…

Cream the coconut butter and honey together with an electric mixer.  Add the coconut milk, vanilla, melted chocolate, and eggs and mix until blended.  Add the cocoa, baking soda, and arrowroot powder and blend well.

Pour brownie batter into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool completely before coating in the cookie dough layer.

For the cookie dough layer…

Combine all ingredients until well blended.  Smother the brownies with cookie dough.  Consume any and all leftovers as quickly as possible.

Related Post

35 Comments on Cookie Dough Brownies

1. roz
    July 5, 2012 at 6:42 pm (2 years ago)

I just wanted to drop a note about how happy I am to find a lot of coconut flour based desserts! The brownie layer looks tasty, and I’m sure I could top it with vanilla roasted strawberries instead!

July 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm (2 years ago)

Oh wow…roasted strawberries?? How do I make them??!!

• roz
        July 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm (2 years ago)

http://www.shutterbean.com/2011/roasted-strawberries/ to which I sometimes add a vanilla pod split down the middle to the roasting berries — citrus zest works once cool (I burned orange peel in the oven, oops). or omit syrup, grind some black pepper and have with basil on top of chicken and zucchini noodles

2. jenbusybee
    July 6, 2012 at 11:04 am (2 years ago)

How did I not know about your blog until now!! I have just bookmarked so many of your recipes to try…I don’t think I will have the time to make them all. These are definitely at the top of the list and I’ll let you know how they turn out for me. What kind of coconut butter do you use and would you recommend a substitute? I have never used it before and not sure that I’ve seen it in my local Whole Foods.

3. Laura Martin
    July 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm (2 years ago)

I made these for a board meeting yesterday, and working in the construction/building industry, there were a lot of men who love desserts at the table. not one of them even realized they were eating paleo and everyone of them commented on how delicious they were! One of my favorite Paleo treats Ive found so far!

July 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! I love being sneaky ;)

4. Jasmine
    July 22, 2012 at 9:57 pm (2 years ago)

These turned out amazing. Probably one of the best paleo desserts I’ve made. It went over really well at the Paleo Potluck, people were amazed that it was only sweetened with honey.

5. Kim
    August 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm (2 years ago)

these look REDONK and i am making them TONIGHT.

question – Enjoy Life Mini Chips have evaporated cane juice in them, but on your ”Can I Eat This?” page you mention that you never cook with ingredients containing cane sugar. any reason these chips are used here? is cane juice different from cane sugar even if they’re both still coming from a sugar cane plant?

thanks for the amazing-looking recipes on here! i am filing them like a maniac in my food-crazed brain to try ASAP.

August 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm (2 years ago)

Haha thanks!

6. Monica
    August 27, 2012 at 9:13 pm (2 years ago)

The cookie dough part didn’t work out for me. It was too runny. Any suggestions? I’m thinking my almond meal was not ground up enough. Hmmmm…Or maybe it was the butter? I used real butter instead of coconut butter because I’m doing the Primal Blueprint diet (it’s like paleo except we can eat dairy) Would that make a big difference?

August 28, 2012 at 6:28 am (2 years ago)

In my experience real butter tends to be a little more liquidy…maybe add a little less if you’re going that route (I bet the butter flavor would be AWESOME–I’ll do it next time, too!). Try adding the butter in bit by bit until you get a good consistency.

• Tom
      August 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm (1 year ago)

Just tried it for the first time and it is so good. I used Almond Butter instead of Coconut Butter and I used Almond flour as suggested. I am new to this Paleo way of life. This gives me one more reason to stick with it.

August 6, 2013 at 8:04 pm (1 year ago)

You’re so welcome!

7. Suzanne T
    September 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm (2 years ago)

Just made this with coconut flour and some dark choc shavings and am eating it right out of the bowl. This should be illegal! (even my insanely picky 7 yr old who will not go near my food just ate a spoonful and asked for more!) Thank you thank you….really good treat!

September 16, 2012 at 3:08 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! Thanks, Suzanne!

8. Sarah
    October 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm (2 years ago)

I made these for thanksgiving dinner, they were delicious! Very moist and came right out of the pan!

October 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! Thanks, Sarah!

9. Kyli
    November 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm (2 years ago)

I am so glad to see someone else who will try a good dessert that is paleo!! I love the paleo diet and I love eating clean… But I too need a good dessert once I’m a while!
    Thanks for this!! I love it!!!

November 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! I’m the same way. I need some richness in my life ;-)

10. Janelle
    February 13, 2013 at 3:15 pm (2 years ago)

Just made these this afternoon….definitely the best Paleo dessert I’ve ever had. Ridiculously good. Thanks for this recipe!

11. Andrea
    February 15, 2013 at 6:52 am (2 years ago)

Let me just say WOW! I made these yesterday and they were a perfectly indulgent Valentine’s Day treat for my little family. My family has been Paleo over 6 months now and I make treats on the regular (life without treats is no life at all, right?) and this has been hands down one of the most normal-tasting desserts I’ve made (just a tiny notch above Zucchini Brownies and Chocolate Chip Cookies, like you remember ‘em). So thank you for sharing this recipe for all to enjoy!

My question is this: do you really put an entire cup of coconut oil in the brownie batter? It seemed a bit excessive and as my brownie layer sat on the cooling rack, it was literally dripping oil onto the table. I thought that it must be a typo for sure and I plan on using about half that next time because it just doesn’t seem quite right. We ate it anyway, no problem! Lol.

Thanks again.

February 15, 2013 at 7:02 am (2 years ago)

So glad you liked them! However, that’s not a typo–the recipe calls for coconut butter, not coconut oil! Coconut butter, also known as coconut cream concentrate, is similar in consistency to many nut butters and does not melt at such a low temp. It also gives a nice rich flavor to the batter. The whole cup is needed…it can be tricky to find in stores sometimes, so here’s a link:

February 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm (2 years ago)

Yep! Same thing!

• Andrea
            February 16, 2013 at 6:05 am (2 years ago)

Ok, thank you so much! I learned something new today. And I can’t wait to make this again and use the correct ingredients, which I did have on hand. If I made them wrong and they were ok, I can’t wait to see what it’s like when I make them right. I can see how the butter probably gives them more of a cakey texture, like in the pic.

Again, thank you so much!!

12. Alexandra
    April 26, 2013 at 6:57 am (2 years ago)

I made these last night for a “cookie potluck” at work. I had to sneak a taste or two last night… they are incredible. I recommend letting them sit in the fridge overnight so that the cookie dough layer can set before cutting up, but WOW are these incredible! Thank you for posting this amazing recipe – it’s my first time baking paleo, and I am impressed.

13. Jen
    August 2, 2013 at 1:56 am (1 year ago)

I can’t do eggs or almonds, anything I can substitute for the eggs and almond flour?

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Cookie Dough Brownies

1. […] Dough Brownies from TGIPaleo My Cookie Dough Brownies don’t look quite like the picture from TGIPaleo. This was ’cause my chocolate chips […]

2. […] raw nuts, nut butters, and the use of them in recipes that don’t require high heat (YES!  Cookie Dough Brownies are safe!!!!), but the baking and frying business makes me wee bit uncomfortable.  It did take […]

3. […] Cookie Dough Brownies – do I even need to explain why we love […]

4. […] in a lot of the things I’ve made. There is most certainly a place for sweeteners in cooking (we all know how much I lovelovelove a sweet treat every now and then), but damn…we don’t have to sweeten friggin everything. Have you seen Triple D lately? […]

5. […] get a good look into how I eat and function outside of that one meal.  I can give you a tray of Paleo Brownies, for example, but that doesn’t mean I’m sitting on my ass eating all of them and still […]