Overnight Apple Breakfast Cobbler

So the Crossfit Games prrrrrretty much made me feel like a total failure at life.  I mean, I could totally deadlift 325# if I wanted to…so maybe this was the motivation I need to get off my ass.  I totally would have dominated the hammer event, too, no big deal.  You’ll see me in SoCal next year, I swear!!!

In the mean time, I cooked up a storm this weekend.  My friend Brittany was in town from DC, so I made my best attempt to lay out a Paleo banquet to accompany our watching the Games and our forays at the Irish Fest.  I roasted a whole duck and shoved about three handfuls of diced apples mixed with cinnamon and coconut oil up its ass.  Duck Butt Apples are the best.  Pretty sure I can die happy now.  We didn’t even have anything else for dinner Friday night.  Just went after that duck like the zombies went after Rick’s horse in the Walking Dead.  I wish I was exaggerating even a little bit.

Speaking of apples, I still had a ton leftover at the end of the weekend.  I don’t really eat much fruit anymore and they were starting to get a little soft.  Thank you, my dearest husband, for buying a dozen apples like two days before you go back to Boston for two months…ANYWAY.  I was pretty desperate to get these apples into something quick–and so Breakfast Cobbler was born.  I’ve definitely heard of making fruit cobblers in the slow cooker before, but you know me…FRUIT IS NOT DESSERT.  But fruit can be breakfast!  And if you leave the crockpot on overnight…instant breakfast!

6 Apples, cored and sliced

1 T Coconut Oil

1/2 c Coconut Milk

1/2 c Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)

1/2 c Raisins (or other dried fruit)

1 T Cinnamon

1 t Salt

1 T Vanilla

Grease the bottom of your crockpot with the coconut oil.

Place all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.  Pour into the crockpot.

Cook on LOW for 6 hours or just overnight.  Serve topped with raw nuts and more coconut.

28 Comments on Overnight Apple Breakfast Cobbler

1. sheena
    July 17, 2012 at 8:23 am (2 years ago)

question. when recipes (like this one) call for coconut milk, is that unsweetened canned coconut milk or the kind in the carton. i know these two versions of coconut milk are different (consistency, nutrition facts, etc.), but does it matter which you use in a recipe? is it safe to say when a recipe calls for it, it’s calling for the canned kind?

2. sheena
    July 17, 2012 at 8:29 am (2 years ago)

when a recipe (like this one) calls for coconut milk, is it safe to assume that it’s calling for unsweetened canned coconut milk?

July 17, 2012 at 8:52 am (2 years ago)

Yes, it’s the full fat canned kind unless otherwise indicated. I never use the stuff in the carton because, like commercially sold almond milk, it’s chock full of gums and other questionable stuff…and I think it tastes terrible. Coconut milk is so delicious, I can’t understand why they have to water it down!

• sheena
        July 17, 2012 at 10:41 am (2 years ago)

that’s what i figured! thanks! p.s. you can delete that first comment of mine. it wasn’t showing up even after i refreshed so i re-did it and now there two! sorry!

• Brandy
        August 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm (2 years ago)

What brand of coconut milk do you use?

3. franz
    July 17, 2012 at 9:52 am (2 years ago)

woo! i made the blog! & that description of the duck’s last moments of existence are not an exaggeration. in the slightest. i’m glad you came up with another reci

• franz
      July 17, 2012 at 9:54 am (2 years ago)

recipe to make for me next time. sorry, my phone decided it didn’t care if i was done typing.

4. Jen
    July 21, 2012 at 7:47 pm (2 years ago)

I just found your blog and I almost spit out the sunflower seed butter cookie I was eating (your recipe, of course) when I read you duck-butt-apples comment. “Duck Butt Apples are the best.” Dying laughing. Also, I love that you have Whole 30-worthy recipes. I do that program every 6 months or so to reset my metabolism and give myself a much-needed break from all of my non-paleo trysts, so it’ll be nice to have some recipe ideas so I don’t have to grill a steak every night. So thanks for that!

July 22, 2012 at 7:56 am (2 years ago)

Thank you!! And yes, Duck Butt Apples are the best. Don’t judge.

5. Jody K.
    August 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm (2 years ago)

How much is a serving? This sounds like something I can eat a whole recipe of (yep, all six apples) in one serving. Very dangerous, in the delicious way. Thanks.

August 28, 2012 at 1:36 pm (2 years ago)

Haha a serving is about as much as you want it to be! I’d say this would feed about four…but for me and my husband it was just us two ;-)

6. Anonymous
    November 12, 2012 at 11:46 am (2 years ago)

Can I use any type of apples? I have a bunch of Granny Smith apples left over from a centre piece and I don’t want them to go to waste.

Thank you!

November 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm (2 years ago)

Actually I think Granny Smiths are the best for this!

7. Michelle
    December 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm (2 years ago)

Can you use a different milk like almond milk? I don’t have coconut milk but everything else I have. We don’t drink cow milk so that’s not an option. Thanks!

December 12, 2012 at 3:05 pm (2 years ago)

Absolutely!

8. Matt
    February 19, 2013 at 6:49 am (1 year ago)

Recipe is a good substitute to someone who really likes oatmeal. The nuts help with that kind of texture. Tasty dish.

February 19, 2013 at 7:35 am (1 year ago)

So true!

9. Shannon
    August 13, 2013 at 11:12 pm (12 months ago)

How long will this keep? in the fridge obviously… i live by myself. also, do you think it would freeze well? thanks!

August 14, 2013 at 11:13 am (12 months ago)

I’d say this will keep a week, maybe 10 days in the fridge. I honestly think the flavors get better as it ages! And yes, I’m positive you can freeze it…that actually works really well :-)

10. Jenny
    January 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm (6 months ago)

This may be a dumb question, but do you peel the apples or leave the skin on? I cored & sliced with an apple corer, but then I peeled the slices because I wasn’t sure. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

January 29, 2014 at 6:05 am (6 months ago)

Either is fine!

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Overnight Apple Breakfast Cobbler

1. [...] of food in order to mitigate food waste.  Ask Ross, I’m awesome at food-saving.  Like my Overnight Apple Breakfast Cobbler?  Those apples were so [...]

2. [...] Overnight Apple Breakfast Cobbler (tgipaleo.com) [...]

3. [...] Overnight Apple Breakfast Cobbler – TGIPALEO [...]

4. [...] back to Christmas and smells and applesauce.  So you may recall that, way back in July,  mad this AH-MAZING apple cobbler.  Well, Britney is back in town for my promotion and true to form, we’ve been cooking and [...]