Pork Belly Made Easy

A rich, succulent cut of pork belly is like a nice little package of everything that makes life worth living.  Nowhere else can you get such buttery, fatty goodness without having to do anything at all.  Except, well, when you eff it up.  Which is easier to do than I’d like to admit.  Dry, leathery pork belly = No Bueno.  Like, No Bueno enough to effing WRECK your week.

What can I say?  I’m, like, really sensitive, OK??

I basically made it my civic responsibility to share a couple of fool-proof options for the cooking of my Porky Ambrosia.  There’s a lot of theories about the best or worst method, but as in all things in my life, I’m sticking to what has worked consistently for me.  And the best part is that I’m giving you OPTIONS…all you have to do is season your meat, pan sear it quickly, and braise using one of two methods:

1.  Crockpot

2.  Low and slow in the oven

…And yes, I’ve used both methods and I really can’t say which I prefer.  Both are reliable.  And delicious.  Just depends on what you have available.  I generally lean on my crockpot but the oven method was born after my poor little slow cooker was indisposed, and it did not disappoint–even though I was wondering all day if having the oven on for that long would burn my house down.  Don’t worry, it didn’t.

2 lbs Pork Belly

2 t Sea Salt

2 t Black Pepper

2 t Chili Powder

2 T Olive Oil

1 T Fish Sauce or Coconut Aminos

1/4 c Apple Cider Vinegar

2-3 c Chopped Vegetables (Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Etc…)

Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.

Score the skin of the pork belly in alternating diagonals.  Mix the seasonings together and rub the spice mixture all over both sides of the pork belly.

Sear the meat on ALL sides in the oil for ONE MINUTE PER SIDE.  Yes, you even need to cook the thin sides–this is where tongs will come in handy.

Place the veggies in the bottom of a crock pot or lined baking dish.  Place the pork belly on top.  Pour the vinegar over the meat, then the fish sauce or coconut aminos.

If you’re using a crockpot, cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.

If you’re using an oven, cover the baking dish with foil and bake at 170 degrees for 4-5 hours.

9 Comments on Pork Belly Made Easy

1. thingsmybellylikes
    July 22, 2012 at 12:29 pm (2 years ago)

Never tried pork belly but I’m cooking a pork tenderloin tonight and know from experience how crappy that sucker can be if it’s overcooked. Thanks for the tips!

July 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm (2 years ago)

I know, it’s like leather…such a waste of something so delicious!

2. Cj
    July 23, 2012 at 10:26 am (2 years ago)

there needs to be a Paleo potluck convention! with this. especially this.

3. Alex
    July 25, 2012 at 6:49 pm (2 years ago)

Definitely going to try this method. Does the crockpot give you/retain any of the crunchy goodness?

July 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm (2 years ago)

The oven method definitely helps retain the crunch if you take the foil off for the last hour or so. But in the slow cooker, make sure you place he belly skin side up and you’ll get a REALLY nice texture, too!

4. Sonia
    January 30, 2013 at 12:13 pm (2 years ago)

Mmmm- ok, the only thing I can think I may have done wrong is cook it at 170 C and not Fahrenheit. The veggies died. The belly was nice but just a little dry and the liquid baked onto my tray in a burnt fashion which kind of ruined it for me….

Maybe I’ll have a go in my slow cooker when I’m next with it. :(

5. Martyn
    June 15, 2013 at 2:44 am (1 year ago)

Well, that’s my shopping list sorted then! Another test for my crockpot! :)

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Pork Belly Made Easy

1. [...] meat and veggies you want and leave it all day.  Some of my favorites are  pork shoulder, pork belly, carnitas, and whole chicken.  All take minutes to prepare, are cheap, and will feed a [...]

2. [...] follow in Nom Nom Paleo’s footsteps and sous vide it up, then brown it in a pan. You could try the TGI Paleo way and slow cook it. Or smoke it, ala She Cooks He Cleans. I went the super-simple route and [...]