Paleo AND Vegan Sandwich Bread

Can I just say something here?  Baked good that are both Paleo AND Vegan are f*cking hard to make.  I mean, holy crap…I can’t use eggs.  I can’t use wheat flour.  I can’t use xanthan gum.  I can’t use 90% of the gluten free flours out there…sooo, hey, Camilla, let’s make bread out of NOTHING!!

OK, it wasn’t out of nothing…I just had to get creative with…not a lot.

I’ll admit up front that if you’re fat phobic at all, you’ll likely not want to eat this bread.  But you knew from the start of this little Vegan Venture that I was not going to give up my most beloved macronutrient.  Luckily, the fat content of this bread makes it really filling and I’ll say it made a very nice little breakfast for a few days.  I also experimented with some open-faced sandwichmaking–might I recommend this spinach and chutney combo…

Made me feel all exotic and creative when I really just had a ton of chutney left over.  That’s economics, people.

Anyhoo, the texture of this bread is definitely more of a quick bread, so it’s not going to bend and fold like a lot of commercial options, but it does the job.  Not too bad for making bread out of nothing.  I could be a Vegan Jesus…

Wait..wait…I’d be amiss if I didn’t ask you to follow me on Twitter!  Please??

1 t Salt

1/2 c Flax Meal

1 c Palm Shortening

1 c + 2 T Applesauce (make sure it’s at room temp)

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Combine the palm shortening and applesauce.  Add the flax, salt, and baking soda.  One tablespoon at a time, add the coconut flour and beat until you have a stiff dough.

Press the dough into a greased loaf pan.  Bake for 55-60 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.  Cool COMPLETELY before cutting into slices.

21 Comments on Paleo AND Vegan Sandwich Bread

1. simplypaleo83
    August 6, 2012 at 8:27 am (2 years ago)

Beautiful!!! Paleo baking sure is a pain in the ass but so worth it when you get it right! xoox

2. Lois
    August 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm (2 years ago)

New to Paleo eating so please excuse my stupidity; is flax meal and flax seed flour the same thing? I haven’t had bread for sometime and would love to make this. I purchased flax seed flour – can I use that? THANKS

August 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm (2 years ago)

Sure is! Thanks!!

3. Ruth
    December 12, 2012 at 6:53 am (2 years ago)

Hmmmm… I just tried this recipe — it tasted good, but it was very crumbly and cakey — I don’t know how anyone would make a sandwich from it. Fortunately, I had lined 2 of the sides and the bottom of the loaf pan with parchment, so I could lift the bread out of the pan by the parchment on the sides. I don’t dare move it off the parchment because it would probably fall apart.

4. Andi
    February 22, 2013 at 3:06 pm (2 years ago)

I agree. Very tasty, but super crumbly and cakey. I had to cook it forever to get it not super gooey in the middle. Any suggestions for getting it more bread-like?
    I’ll make it again anyway, just because it’s yummy.

February 23, 2013 at 8:55 am (2 years ago)

Unfortunately, I have yet to get the texture right without eggs–or resorting to legume-based flours. Ugh…

5. Jessica Hitch
    April 11, 2013 at 11:51 am (2 years ago)

Just my luck — I’m allergic to apples, too!

• Nikki
      September 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm (1 year ago)

I googled vegan paleo bread, not really expecting results. I’m impressed someone has a solution, even if it is crumbly!

6. Julie
    January 8, 2014 at 11:44 am (10 months ago)

What size loaf pan????

January 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm (10 months ago)

I used a 9 inch

7. beth
    February 3, 2014 at 9:41 am (9 months ago)

Can I substitute coconut oil for the palm oil?

• Lindsey
      April 24, 2014 at 9:48 pm (6 months ago)

This response may be too little too late, but I used coconut oil and it was an epic fail for me. Not sure if that was the failing ingredient, however what I pulled out of my over was nothing close to a loaf of bread.

April 25, 2014 at 5:52 am (6 months ago)

Yeah since coconut oil turns liquid really fast, there’s no binding property to it…it takes “moisture” to a whole new level!

8. andria
    February 23, 2014 at 9:25 am (8 months ago)

this recipe is intriguing, but does it really call for 1 CUP of shortening?? I am not afraid of fat but that seems excessive.

9. Lindsey
    April 24, 2014 at 9:46 pm (6 months ago)

I couldn’t find palm shortening so I researched and subbed coconut oil. Clearly this was a bad idea. This ‘bread,’ for me, ended up being a crumbly mess. I feel like I should use it as seasoning. It smells delicious, but I obviously did something terribly wrong, beccause there was nothing ‘bread-like’ about what came out of my oven. Thanks for your recipe…I will have to try again.

10. Lindsey
    September 16, 2014 at 9:32 pm (1 month ago)

My husband has an egg allergy so I tried this bread recipe. I found it to taste very salty. Next time I would add very little or perhaps no salt. I also noticed that my bread did not rise AT ALL. Could this be because my flax seed meal is kind of old? Also, I wonder if soaking the flaxseed meal in warm water would help it to make the bread hold together better?

11. fatima
    September 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm (4 weeks ago)

hi
    i’m excited to try this out… what can i use as an apple sauce substitute?

• camilla
      September 29, 2014 at 3:24 pm (4 weeks ago)

any fruit or vegetable puree should work. pumpkin, perhaps?

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Paleo AND Vegan Sandwich Bread

1. [...] especially helpful to a person with an egg allergy. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to soon: Paleo AND Vegan Sandwich Bread | Ruth "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please [...]

2. […] Paleo and Vegan Sandwich Bread […]