Cashew Cream Cheesecake

It’s Paleo!  It’s Vegan!  It’s Raw!  Pretty sure ANYONE could eat this cheesecake.  Peace through dessert, that’s what I always say!  Except if you have a nut allergy.  Crap.

This isn’t an original recipe by any means–When PaleOMG’s Caramel Cheesecake was born a couple months ago I was all over it like a fat kind on…Paleo cheesecake.  Since then, I’ve made it thrice more, each time screwing a little with the ingredients (and doubling the amount of filling to put over the crust to make a bigger cake and satiate the 400-pound woman who lives inside me) and using raw instead of roasted nuts after my nut crisis.

Best thing, though, while I was wringing my hands trying to come up with a good Paleo/Vegan dessert to finish off this series, it hit me that all I would have to do to make this recipe Vegan-friendly was replace the honey with maple syrup.  And, I mean, it gave me an excuse to make it again.  Darn.

When making this cake, the most important thing to keep in mind is that you 1) need to soak the raw nuts just the right amount of time so they are neither too dry nor too bitter/mushy ans 2) blend everything for the filling VERY well so that it is a smooth, cheesecake-like consistency.  The first time I made this with raw instead of roasted nuts I ended up with a grittier texture than I would have liked, so please-please-PLEASE make sure you’re running the food processor long enough.

**Crust**

1 c Raw Almond Butter

1 c Unsweetened Shredded Coconut

2/3 c Raw Chopped Pecans

1 T Coconut Butter

1 T Maple Syrup

1/4 t Salt

**Filling**

3 c Raw Cashews, soaked and drained

1 c Coconut Oil, softened

1 c Maple Syrup

Juice of 1 Lemon

1/4 c Coconut Milk

2 t Vanilla

To soak your cashews, put the raw nuts in a bowl and cover with cold water and a pinch of salt.  Then place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow to soak for 4-6 hours.  Don’t soak for more than 24 hours or they will become bitter.

Generously grease a springform pan with coconut oil and place in the freezer.

To make the crust, combine almond butter, coconut, pecans, coconut butter, salt, and syrup in a food processor.  Pulse at first to combine everything, then run the processor until you have a sticky but smooth-looking mass.  Scoop it out and press into the bottom of your springform pan and place back in the freezer.

For the filling, drain the cashews but don’t let them get too dry.  Place the cashews in the food processor and pulse until they are a fine consisitency.  Add the coconut oil, syrup, lemon juice, coconut milk, and vanilla.  Run the food processor for 3-5 minutes until you have a very smooth, creamy mixture.  Pour the filling over the crust (the crust doesn’t have to be completely frozen at this point).  Place the cheesecake back in the freezer for at least 3 hours, until firm.

Enjoy!  Then follow me on Twitter!

14 Comments on Cashew Cream Cheesecake

1. Amy
    August 8, 2012 at 7:45 am (2 years ago)

I love you…I love your blog…but can we please bring back all things meat? :)

2. paleoinportland
    August 8, 2012 at 11:04 am (2 years ago)

I love that PaleOMG recipe! I actually like the bars best frozen. I thought they tasted better that way. Your recipe looks pretty awesome too! I’ll have to give it a try.

3. jerkbusters
    August 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm (2 years ago)

Hey! This looks SO good… But can you clarify something about the recipe? In the instructions for the crust, you mention coconut butter, but do not list it in the ingredients. Can’t wait to make this… :)

August 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm (2 years ago)

OMG I’m an idiot and forgot…there’s 1 T of coconut butter in the crust. Made the change so it should be good. Thanks so much!!

4. AnnRae
    August 19, 2012 at 7:44 pm (2 years ago)

If I wanted to do this with roasted nuts, do I need to do anything differently?

August 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm (2 years ago)

You wouldn’t need to soak the nuts, but everything else is the same!

5. Anonymous
    October 22, 2012 at 6:58 am (2 years ago)

This is the most fantastically delicious paleo cheesecake.. thank you SO MUCH for posting! I think I like it even better than if it was made with dairy! I’m relatively new to Paleo (my doctor recommended this diet for my health condition) and treats like this every now and again will help me stave off feelings of deprivation and make this lifestyle sustainable, for sure! I can’t thank you enough for posting this recipe. God bless!

October 22, 2012 at 7:25 am (2 years ago)

I’m so glad you like it!! This is one of my personal favorites. If you can, melt a little dark chocolate and almond butter, then drizzle on top!

6. TashaGiselle
    October 22, 2012 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

AHH! *runs to kitchen to set up the double-boiler*..

7. Anonymous
    November 24, 2012 at 9:52 am (2 years ago)

My mom is allergic to almonds and dairy. This recipe looks like it could work for her, but could I replace the almond butter with cashew butter in the crust perhaps?

November 24, 2012 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

Totally! I’m sure any nut butter would work…I bet pecan or walnut would be delicious, too!

8. Shaina
    December 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm (11 months ago)

Hey There! What are your thoughts on adding chocolate chips to the cashew cheese filling?

December 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm (11 months ago)

I think…that would be *amazing*!

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Cashew Cream Cheesecake

1. [...] Espresso Brownies from Civilized Caveman Cashew Cream Cheesecake from TGIPaleo Buttercup Bars from Sarah Lynn Smile Pumpkin Pie from Mark’s Daily Apple Choco [...]