TGIPaleo Bread

I ordered my first pack of Paleo Bread last week.  I was more than a little curious and super excited to make some egg and bacon sandwiches, French toast, and almond butter and jelly sandwiches.  Unfortunately, I got my box today and the bread was COVERED in mold.  Yummy!!

I’m totally going to try again and see if there is a way to expedite my shipment next time–oh, the perils of not stuffing your products with preservatives!  I really, really want to try the stuff and I’m so excited that there’s a booming market for Paleo products.  BUT since I’d been anticipating such bread-y wonders all effing week, I was f*cking furious.  So I got baking.

The ingredients listed for Paleo Bread’s coconut variety are simple–egg whites, coconut flour, water, psyllium, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar.  I started with these as a base and messed around with proportions a bit.  Then I ended up adding a few touches of my own but I think the result was exactly what the doctor ordered!

This bread isn’t too strongly flavored–perfect for sandwiches!–and is sturdy enough to hold whatever you want…eggs, nut butter, lunch meat, etc.  This weekend, I’m going to be making some serious French toast…oh, don’t you worry!

1/2 c Ground Flax

1/4 c Arrowroot Flour

1.5 t Baking Soda

1/2 t Salt

1.5 c Egg Whites (you can also use 6 whole eggs)

1/2 c Applesauce

1 T Apple Cider Vinegar

Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Add the egg whites and applesauce and combine well–no lumps!  Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.  Stir in the apple cider vinegar.

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

**Nutrition Facts**

(1/16 of recipe)

Calories:  60

Fat:  2.6

Protein:  4.2

Carbs:  4.2

45 Comments on TGIPaleo Bread

1. Trish
    August 23, 2012 at 7:33 am (2 years ago)

Looking forward to trying this….I made you paleo vegan bread yesterday, and added some garlic, basil and oregano to make it “Italiany”, to go with the meal i was making. It was good, but I’d like to try this one that doesn’t have all that fat in it:-))

August 23, 2012 at 7:47 am (2 years ago)

I like this one a LOT better, too…it’s lighter and higher in protein without the pound of oil!

2. Kathy Scollan
    August 23, 2012 at 8:08 am (2 years ago)

I looking forward to trying this recipe. As far as the Paleo bread, sorry you recieved moldy bread. I bought one of the coconut and one of the almond. I missed the part that listed psyllium. Made me really sick. Being “Paleo” it should have been totally grain free. My husband said it tasted like chewing on a sponge. (I don;t know how he knew this) anyway we threw it out and chalked it up to lesson learned. Hope it you get more it will work for you.

August 23, 2012 at 8:15 am (2 years ago)

Ick…well, they’re sending me a new bag this week so we’ll see! If nothing else, I generally feel better about making my own bread. I used to live off the Paleo Bread over on Elana’s Pantry until I had to stop baking with nut flour. I’ll be experimenting quite a bit with a coconut-based version!

3. cholitau
    August 23, 2012 at 9:51 am (2 years ago)

Hello! Thanks again for the amazing recipe. I plan on making that Aztec Brownie this weekend! It looks WAY too good!
    I’m curious, how big is your loaf pan? Is it the same one you use for all your loaf recipes? I’m just trying to figure out what to buy. I made the cherry/chocolate loaf and it was GOOD, but i think the pan i have is not helping.
    Thanks!

4. Laurie Goodwill
    August 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm (2 years ago)

I, too, ordered several loaves of the coconut paleo bread. They arrived with much condensation in the bag. It tasted awful–bitter and very wet in the middle, like it wasn’t baked long enough. Looking forward to trying your recipe!

5. Sandy
    August 23, 2012 at 6:31 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, I want to try this but is there a substitute for arrowroot flour?
    Thanks!

August 23, 2012 at 7:02 pm (2 years ago)

You could try a couple things…either add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of coconut flour, or add equal amount of either tapioca starch or potato starch!

• Sandy
        August 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm (2 years ago)

Is tapioca flour the same as tapioca starch? Thanks!

6. snownomad
    August 25, 2012 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the recipe! I’m making this right now. I also ordered the Coconut Paleo Bread and had bad luck. First batch of two loaves arrived mildewed with bad ordered, a replacement batch of two loaves was then sent out and I had the exact same problem. All four loaves ended up being in the trash. I’m excited to have fresh bread right out of my own oven! Thanks again!

August 25, 2012 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

Awesome! I’ve got a replacement coming, too, so I have my fingers crossed…but you know, NOTHING beats fresh from your own oven!

7. janerandom
    August 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm (2 years ago)

How do you store this bread? Any time I’ve made Paleo “bread” with flax, it seems to go bad quickly.

August 28, 2012 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

I keep mine wrapped in plastic in the fridge. Definitely don’t leave it out for more than a couple hours

8. janerandom
    August 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm (2 years ago)

Hi! How do you store this bread? Any time I make flax Paleo “bread” it goes bad quickly. Thanks!

9. Suki
    August 28, 2012 at 6:52 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve made this bread twice now. It comes our perfect each time and my husband loves it. What I have been doing is freezing it right after slicing it from the oven. Whenever I want a few slices I stick it in the broiler for a few minutes.

10. Laura
    August 31, 2012 at 5:31 pm (2 years ago)

I just got my Paleo bread and it tastes like spongy cardboard. It is crap. The pics are VERY misleading as well. The loaves are TINY. Way over priced for something that small and cardboard tasting… I hope your experience is better than mine was! I’m going to set out to make my own as well. Thanks for the starting point. :)

September 1, 2012 at 8:47 am (2 years ago)

Thanks, Laura!

11. Aimee
    September 10, 2012 at 5:28 am (2 years ago)

Just wanted to let you know I made this bread yesterday and thought it was really good. It was a little dark, but that may be b/c I used a dark bread pan or my flax is dark. Anywhooo, I will be making this again. Thanks for the recipe.

12. lizeckel
    October 11, 2012 at 9:13 am (2 years ago)

i’m missing the size of loaf pan used… maybe i’m not looking hard enough. i tend to miss things.
    let me know! it is baking day!!

13. Nataliya
    October 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

I’d really like to try this recipe, as I can’t eat wheat due to my fructose malabsorption and I haven’t found a gluten free bread that is half decent. Only problem is this recipe has apple sauce in it. Can you think of anything that I could substitute for the apple sauce? I run into this problem a lot with healthy recipes :)

October 13, 2012 at 7:30 am (2 years ago)

Any fruit puree would work, so what are the best options with low fructose? How about pumpkin, sweet potato, or other winter squash?

• Nataliya
        October 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm (2 years ago)

Yeah the pumpkin, sweet potato or maybe a butternut squash sound like they would work best. The only fruit I could eat that would puree well for this would probably be banana but I’d prefer a more savoury bread. Thanks!

14. April
    October 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm (2 years ago)

I used pumpkin and it turned out great! I didn’t have the arrow root either.

October 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm (2 years ago)

mmmm I need to try that!

• Lucia
      October 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm (2 years ago)

I dont have Arrowroot either, did you just leave it out or did you put more coconut/almond flour in place?

October 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm (2 years ago)

Leave it out and add about half the amount of liquid to make sure you get a thick sauce. I find that almond and coconut flour might give it a gritty texture. Tapioca starch is also a good substitute.

15. Kerry
    October 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm (2 years ago)

I’ve got another loaf in the oven right now. It comes out perfectly everytime. Love this recipe, it certainly is a blank canvas. It’s the perfect solution to keep my kids happy. Thanks for sharing.

16. lizeckel
    October 24, 2012 at 7:52 am (2 years ago)

does anyone here know the size of loaf pan to use? i have a few different pans i could use, but need to know which before i start!

• aimeer_davis@yahoo.com
      October 24, 2012 at 8:08 am (2 years ago)

I just used a regular size bread loaf pan, not a mini. It fills it up perfectly. I cook it slightly less than an hour b/c mine gets too dark and too dry if I leave it in for the full hour.

17. Nicole
    December 18, 2012 at 10:13 am (2 years ago)

I want to try this… but flax tends to make me bloated/gassy. Do you think I could cut back the flax to 1/4 cup or 2 Tb and replace with more coconut flour? I like how this recipe uses egg whites instead of the 6-12 whole eggs seen in many coconut bread recipes. I think that will help keep the loaf from tasting too “eggy”

December 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm (2 years ago)

Yes. Try cutting out the flax completely and adding another 2-3 Tablespoons of coconut flour.

• Nicole
        December 19, 2012 at 9:47 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! I may also try to add just a bit of ground chia seeds since I’ve been reading that they can be used instead of flax.

18. Megan
    February 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm (1 year ago)

If I leave out the arrowroot powder, can I reduce the 6 whole eggs to 3? or should I reduce all of the liquid or sub in with a 1/4 cup more of coconut flours, thanks!

February 18, 2013 at 7:03 am (1 year ago)

If you leave out the arrowroot, add an extra 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour

19. Mel
    May 6, 2013 at 6:45 pm (1 year ago)

What purpose does the applesauce serve for the bread? Is it just for fat? If so, could I use avocado instead?

May 6, 2013 at 7:47 pm (1 year ago)

Yeah, avocado would work really well!

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on TGIPaleo Bread

1. [...] and foremost…I got my breakfast sandwich fix at long last this morning with some TGI-Paleo Bread and duck eggs.  Oh, I’m a happy girl [...]

2. [...] got a not-moldy loaf of Paleo Bread in the other day.  And it was a good thing, too, because I almost chewed my arm off last night [...]

3. [...] night I got crafty and made this bread.  I had a little sliver and it was so good!  I used pumpkin instead of applesauce.  I will for [...]

4. [...]  Look, just like anything else, the best thing to do is just to make the damn stuff yourself.  And I did, and I was satisfied for the time [...]

5. [...] Folsom culture which existed in present-day New Mexico between 10200 and 8000 B.C. produced projectile points that were much smaller and thinner than other cultures of the time. One of the most readily identifiable [...]

6. […] 8. TGIPaleo Bread You’ve gotta love the folks over at TGIPaleo, they really know their stuff and it seems they’re always tinkering around in the caveman kitchens trying to whip up palatable Paleo food that keeps you within the Paleo guidelines. Here they’re doing their best to perfect the art of Paleo bread making, and they seem to have gotten it right on this one. Just to be sure they’ve gone and replicated their efforts in second version, covered below. They’ve used a combination of coconut flour, ground flax for heartiness, fiber and omega-3s, and arrowroot flour for added texture and taste. […]