PWO Protein Bread

I’m such a meathead. It’s kinda ridiculous.

IMG_2102

If it’s not evident enough already, I’ve been on a quest for the perfect PWO fuel for a while now. Obviously, the best thing would be a big plate of salmon and sweet potato, but um…I have a day job and get my workouts in over my lunch break. I’ve even tried the PWO fast, but I’ve found that at least a little something in that anabolic window makes all the difference. I need something portable as well as packed with protein and starch.

Well, I made a “protein bar” of sorts a while back but got lambasted for it. I probably deserved it…while a nice pick-me-up, the protein content was low and wasn’t ideal. A couple hard-boiled eggs would have sufficed instead. Since then, I’ve been trying all kinds of other stuff with the most successful being Simply Pure Nutrients Pro3 Synergy Fuel. I know, I know…it’s a whey protein. But I don’t have any adverse reactions to it and it’s super portable…toss a scoop into a shaker bottle and go! Recently, I picked up some egg white protein from NOW Foods–100% Paleo and safe on the 21DSD. Buuuuuuuut I’ll be honest, something about gelatinous egg-white-y goop in my shaker bottle doesn’t do it for me. I’m no Rocky Balboa.

So I did what I do best…I baked into something! It’s nice to just be able to cut off a slice of bread and toss it into a baggie to take with me. You can make muffins, too! Too easy. What’s more, there’s a TON of protein in this stuff. I ran the nutrition stats and in 1/8 of this recipe, you get a whopping 15 grams of protein and a nice dose of good starch to boot. You can use sweet potato or pumpkin, depending on tastes and availability (I’d do sweet potato because it’ll give you an extra kick of dense carbohydrate…plus I think the flavor is generally richer than pumpkin in baked goods).

photo (6)

Oh…and Like me on Facebook!  I have like 10 followers.  Let’s make my page…um…not tragic, shall we?

1 t Salt

2 t Cinnamon

1 c Egg White Protein Powder

1 1/2 c Liquid Egg Whites

1 T Vanilla

1 c Mashed Sweet Potato

Combine all ingredients beating until smooth. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

14 Comments on PWO Protein Bread

1. Sandy
    January 14, 2013 at 6:29 am (2 years ago)

Good morning! Is there a reason not to use whole eggs in this recipe? Thanks!

January 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm (2 years ago)

Couple reasons–one, it upped the protein content and two, I’ve found that egg whites help the loaf rise nice and high, which is best for any bread to use for sandwiches

• Ross
      January 15, 2013 at 2:26 pm (2 years ago)

Just a note as one of the two direct consumers of this bread. I’ve never before seen a paleo bread with such a perfect crust. Camilla’s cooking skills are way beyond my own, but she did explain that it had something to do with the egg whites. All I know is that she went into the kitchen, performed some kind of black magic, and produced these delicious treats. Stick with the recipe and you’ll be in good standing.

2. Stacey
    January 14, 2013 at 6:51 am (2 years ago)

oooh – may make some tonight! Looks great!

3. Emily
    January 14, 2013 at 11:42 pm (2 years ago)

This looks amazing. I’m always trying to find new Paleo bread recipes.

4. Stacey
    January 17, 2013 at 5:57 am (2 years ago)

Made this last night – turned out very dense and didn’t rise too high. Also very dark. I used pumpkin as I had a can open already and the NOW egg protein powder. I wonder if my baking soda is too old or something? Going to try again though as your pics look so good!

January 17, 2013 at 6:31 am (2 years ago)

Also make sure you beat the batter for a few minutes to get the egg whited nice and fluffy!

• Stacey
        January 17, 2013 at 6:32 am (2 years ago)

That I didn’t do – just whisked until it was lump free. I’ll put it in my stand mixer next time and get it fluffy!

January 17, 2013 at 7:57 am (2 years ago)

Yeah…I’m using this recipe as a starting point for a better sandwich/toast bread and based on some experiments, I’m definitely going to specify in my next version that whipping the whites is what makes it so…bread-y

• Stacey
            January 17, 2013 at 7:59 am (2 years ago)

Do you think whipping the liquid egg whites separately and folding them in will help even more? I may give that a go…..I’ll let you know how it goes.

January 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm (2 years ago)

Definitely worth a try!

5. http://www.tblog.com/profile_JannieRobert.html
    July 4, 2013 at 5:46 am (1 year ago)

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out
    much. I hope to present one thing again and aid others like you aided me.