What better snack could you ask for to go along with your (gluten free) brewskies this St Paddy’s Day? This recipe is a big improvement on an attempt I made last year. Lately I’m going back and re-working a lot of my old recipes lately…to include a THIRD version of this pie. What’s cooking if you can’t keep making it better, right? Besides, sometimes I feel kind of guilty for letting old recipes die. There’s so many wonderful things I’ve made like, ONCE and never re-visited because I get so caught up with my almost obsessive desire to come up with “The Next Big Thing.” Remember this? Or these? Or…OMG…THESE???? I’m a horrible person.
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes or Yams
- Olive Oil, for brushing
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound Ground Beef
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 oz Chevre (optional)
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and brush with oil.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium-high.
- Add a little oil and brown the meat. Add the veggies and seasoning and sautee everything until the veggies are tender. Remove from heat.
- When the potatoes are done, let cool slightly, then spoon out the insides, leaving a thin layer of potato flesh on the skin.
- Fill with meat mixture and top with cheese if desired.
- Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes, until heated through and crisp.