Microwave Protein Muffin

Probably the worst thing you can do to me is put me in a situation where I can neither eat good food nor have an opportunity to cook for myself.  I get really, really cranky.  Food is my thing, OK?

I spent an entire year living in an aluminum box in the desert with nothing but a microwave and a Liddle Griddle, subsisting on rice, canned fish, and gluten-free pancake mix (thank the Lord for Amazon…) for most of it.  Yummy!

Believe it or not, though, this recipe was one of my deployment staples and for some god-awful reason I kept making it from time to time after I got back.  The only change I have made was adding real eggs–clearly not available to the poor folks on FOBs in northern Iraq.  I had to settle for a tip I learned from the Vegans (blasphemy!) and use “flax eggs.”  They work fine, too, so feel free to try it but the texture is a LOT more palatable for me with the real deal.  This recipe makes one HUGE muffin, so cut it in half if you want.  Also, feel free to add anything else, like nuts or raisins or coconut–if you’d like!

It’s definitely tasty but most importantly, because it’s easy to make with stuff I always have on hand.  Like this morning, when I awoke to a bare kitchen (as I do most Sunday mornings).  I was starving but SO not willing to go shopping at 6:30am…

1/2 t Baking Soda

1 Mashed Banana

1/2 t Cinnamon

Whisk together all of the ingredients.  Your “batter” should be pretty thick.

Press the batter/dough into a microwave-safe bowl–a cereal bowl works best for me.  Pop in the microwave and cook on high for 3 minute increments (to avoid an explosion) for 6-9 minutes, or until firm in the center.  Allow to rest for a minute or two, then gently remove from the bowl, loosening the edges with a knife if necessary.

Schmear with almond butter and enjoy!

Remember, every microwave is a little different, so it may take more or less time depending on the individual settings.

13 Comments on Microwave Protein Muffin

1. Jasmine
    June 2, 2012 at 5:30 pm (2 years ago)

Wow. Super easy and satisfies a bread/carb craving!

2. Allison Leapard
    August 20, 2012 at 10:24 am (2 years ago)

Were you in Mosul? My husband was there for about a year in 2007-2008. We did not eat Paleo at the time, though, and he’s not much of a cook, so I don’t think he struggled with the food quite as much. :)

August 20, 2012 at 10:26 am (2 years ago)

I was! It was super cool, lemme tell ya ;)

3. Damian
    September 11, 2012 at 4:49 am (2 years ago)

Great! very fine line between being too dry – I had to bin my first effort! I think my microwave is crazy strong, only needed 3mins 40seconds…
    Surprisingly filling, I couldnt finish it in one sitting, which is saying something for me!

4. Damian
    October 6, 2012 at 1:40 am (2 years ago)

PS: Add a little coconut oil and its much more moist! ;)

October 6, 2012 at 7:41 am (2 years ago)

Sweet! I need to try this…

• Damian
        October 6, 2012 at 11:02 am (2 years ago)

ALSO made it more devilish with some homemade chocolate fudge (cocoa powder+coconut oil+dash of water+dash of honey+dash of coconut milk…HEAVEN!)

5. Karen
    November 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm (2 years ago)

Made this today and added 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil and 1 TBsp cocoa powder. was VERY good (and chocolately) but a touch dry. my banana had been frozen and thawed so next time i will use a fresh, very ripe one or up the coconut oil. still was delicious and i will be eating mine with homemade rhubarb jam (sweetened with dates)! :) thanks for the recipe!!!

November 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm (2 years ago)

Try a little almond or coconut milk too…might help add moisture.

6. Karen
    November 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm (2 years ago)

oh, and i only needed to microwave mine for 3 mins! i have a 1100 watt microwave

7. Terr
    April 15, 2013 at 6:52 am (1 year ago)

Can I use finely shredded unsweetened coconut instead of the coconut flour? Would I need to make other changes to compensate? And I just read your blog about going to med school. You are amazing! I don’t even know you, but I am so proud of you. And impressed. And even jealous. Your determination and hard work is enviable. Good luck. You’ll be a great med student and even better doctor

April 15, 2013 at 7:54 am (1 year ago)

You can try…it might be a little more eggy but experimentation is the only way to learn. And thank you so much! I’m so excited, and finally feel like I might be able to make a difference!