Avocado Bread

Sometimes, I just need a sandwich.  Or toast.  Or a sponge for my egg yolks.

IMG_2083

Bonus, too…this stuff is safe on the 21DSD.  If you’ve been following my little adventure in detoxing on Primal Competitor, you’ve already gotten a sneak peak.  You really can’t tell there’s avocado in it at all–it’s a nice, neutral flavor that suits all of your bread-y needs, while being low carb and high in healthy fats.  It’s got a firm texture that holds together in the toaster oven and soaks up butter, egg yolks, and mayo very nicely.  The next test?  Let’s see how well this stuff supports a burger…

**Printable Recipe**

1 t Salt

1/2 c Ground Flax

1 c Avocado Puree (about 2 large avocados)

Make sure your avocado puree is totally smooth…no lumps!

Combine the dry ingredients.  The add your eggs and avocado, beating until smooth.  Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

22 Comments on Avocado Bread

1. Stacey
    January 9, 2013 at 8:07 am (2 years ago)

YAY! Have 8 avacados waiting to be used…..

2. Aimee
    January 9, 2013 at 8:58 am (2 years ago)

I cannot wait to make this bread. I have been eyeing your pictures and hoping you would post the recipe soon!

3. GiGi Eats Celebrities
    January 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm (2 years ago)

How interesting!! Quite a healthy way to “spice” up a bread recipe!

4. Magda
    January 15, 2013 at 2:26 am (2 years ago)

Do you think it would work with a whole cup of flax meal instead of coconut flour? The price of coconut flour over here is just ridiculous.

January 15, 2013 at 6:28 am (2 years ago)

I don’t think so…can you get either almond or arrowroot flour?

5. Vanessa
    January 15, 2013 at 11:11 pm (2 years ago)

Is there anything I can dub for ground flax?

January 16, 2013 at 6:23 am (2 years ago)

Sure! Just add an extrar 2 Tablespoons if coconut flour, or 1/4 c Chia Seeds

6. sher
    January 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm (2 years ago)

This bread looks awesome!!! I can’t wait to make it tomorrow!!
    Do you think you could make this bread work with apples, cinnamon and raisins added?? Looking for something sweet to make with breakfast over the weekend.
    Thanks!
    Sher

January 17, 2013 at 6:32 am (2 years ago)

Mmmmm…I’d try all of those! Avocado also has a natural affinity for pecans.

January 17, 2013 at 6:32 am (2 years ago)

And add about 1/4-1/2 cup maple syrup or honey if you really want to sweeten it up.

7. Elisa
    January 17, 2013 at 11:27 am (2 years ago)

What kind of consistency does the bread have? Every thing I have tried is kind of spongy……thx!

January 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm (2 years ago)

It’s a little like a quick bread–almost cake-y

8. gina
    January 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely love avocados, so in my mind this bread sounded phenomenal, so I just made some & it tasted so wrong to me. I am not trying to be rude, just honest… It just didn’t mesh well with my taste buds. To be totally fair I have never baked with avocados ( I have always eaten them cold) or ground flax, so it is probably because my tastes are not used to those flavors. I really wanted to love it, but it didn’t work out for me.

9. travelinglands
    April 10, 2013 at 6:54 pm (1 year ago)

Would this work with a cup of gluten-free flour blend in place of the coconut flour and flax seed?

April 11, 2013 at 7:51 am (1 year ago)

I think it would, but it might take a little more. I would add a little but at a time until you get a proper consistency

10. Christie
    June 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm (1 year ago)

I love this bread! It is great by itself or with some butter. Or…

Sometimes I cut it into strips and make inside out wraps, wrapping ham or turkey around it with my favorite sandwich spreads and toppings rolled up inside.

11. Alicia
    June 5, 2014 at 8:57 pm (3 months ago)

I just made this bread and it’s yummy! Anyone know how many calories there would be in each slice?

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Avocado Bread

1. [...] used the avocado to make TGIPaleo’s Avocado Bread (It was…interesting. Was a bit like banana bread in consistency but the avocado made it a [...]

2. [...] links: –An ingenious bread made with avocados, eggs, and coconut flour (from TGIPaleo). –I was reading about grilled prawns on the Donna [...]

3. […] me right now–>real talk. So I’ll probably freeze a few, and I think I’ll make this avocado bread this […]