Banana Pancakes, plus a few Paleo Pancake Pointers

…Because who doesn’t love pancakes?

I actually made a ginormous batch of these the other day, threw them in the refrigerator, and have just been kind of chowing down as I please.  It’s been a while since I made any kind of “Paleo Pancake,” mostly because I’ve clearly been on an egg and muffin kick, but also because they’re just so damn hard to get right sometimes.  I’ve tried and failed at so many different pancake recipes it makes me want to cry to think about all the eggs and coconut milk that have met an unsavory end (literally).  Patience is not my virtue, and some of m greatest kitchen meltdowns have been thanks to the rubbery, chalky, crumbly, slushy (yes, slushy), bitter, nasty crap that’s ended up on my plate when all I yearned for was a sweet, fluffy, buttery flapjack to get me going in the morning.

I won’t claim that these pancakes are Jersey Diner Quality, but damn, they’re pretty delicious.  The secret, as I found out the hard way, is to keep the heat on the low end and let them cook completely before flipping them.  This will take about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, maybe more depending on how low the heat is.  If the heat is too high, you’re just going to char the damn things and understand exactly what I meant when I said “slushy“.  Oh, and keep them on the small side.  Believe me, I’m a huge fan of pancakes that come out bigger than your head, but when using coconut flour, you will have a very delicate batter.  Make sure they are no bigger than the surface of your spatula–you really want to have a sturdy flipping mechanism so they stay in one piece!

(Serves 2-4)

2 Really Ripe Bananas, mashed

4 Whole Eggs

1 t Vanilla

1/2 t Cinnamon

Beat the eggs until frothy, then add remaining ingredients one by one, continuing to beat well to incorporate lots of air.

Heat your griddle to medium to medium-low heat (300-340 degrees) and grease generously with butter or coconut oil.  Drop batter onto the hot griddle and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the bottom is browned and the edges are firm.  Carefully flip and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes as well.

Serve with butter and maple syrup!

41 Comments on Banana Pancakes, plus a few Paleo Pancake Pointers

1. alexboake
    April 22, 2012 at 8:21 am (3 years ago)

I just made these for breakfast–they were awesome! My (non-paleo) boyfriend loved them! So light and fluffy with the crispy outside edges. Yum.

April 24, 2012 at 7:51 am (3 years ago)

Awesome! I’m so glad you liked them!

2. ana
    June 25, 2012 at 9:09 am (2 years ago)

delicious! this one’s going into the recipe file!

June 25, 2012 at 10:05 am (2 years ago)

Yay! Thank you!!

3. Ashley
    August 7, 2012 at 7:22 am (2 years ago)

These were a disaster. The batter was way too thick. So I added almond milk. Then even on a low heat, the bottom was burned before it could cook long enough to flip. Hmmm…not sure what went wrong….

August 7, 2012 at 7:35 am (2 years ago)

I’m so sorry! The batter is generally thick but did you add too much coconut flour? Even just a *little* bit too much sucks all the moisture out of everything! Also, make sure you **generously** grease the pan!

4. Caroline
    August 19, 2012 at 8:20 am (2 years ago)

Made these for breakfast this morning. Yum!!! My husband and daughter loved them, too. Great topped with berries and a side of bacon. Thanks!

5. Nadia
    August 27, 2012 at 4:30 am (2 years ago)

Hey there, thanks a mill they tasted soo good :) i replaced the coconut flour with almond flour and provided the heat was very hot they worked out really well… Thanks for this awesome recipe :)

6. Sean
    September 10, 2012 at 6:05 am (2 years ago)

Baking soda paleo? Seems a lot of people get loose with the application and term ‘paleo’ these days but don’t tell people on their recipes. Just muddies the water for a lot of people and if you have a preference for adding baking soda maybe just point that out.

7. Ginger Holt
    September 22, 2012 at 7:57 am (2 years ago)

I cannot believ how maxing these are. I used almond extract as I was out of vanilla. Added a nice flavor too. Thank you much for posting. All your extra tips were key to having this be successful.

8. Adriana
    September 26, 2012 at 7:18 am (2 years ago)

I substituted canned pumpkin for bananas (5 oz. pumpkin per banana) added cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger, thinned with cream. These were very nice, but yes, follow the directions to make them small, cook them low and slow. Nom!

9. Stacey Cross
    October 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm (2 years ago)

I’m so excited to try these!!! Thank you for the tips! I’m new to paleo and trying to get my 6 year old on board. I tried a pumpkin pancake recipe last weekend and it was was an utter disaster!!

October 5, 2012 at 11:08 am (2 years ago)

Hope it works for you! Paleo pancakes are super tricky…but so worth it. If you can find a recipe that works for you, never let that baby go!

• Stacey Cross
      October 7, 2012 at 9:22 am (2 years ago)

They were a HUGE success! ! ! They take FOREVER to cook (maybe I’m cooking too low?) but, nonetheless they were delicious. My daughter gobbled them up and asked for more! ! ! Thank you! ! ! !

10. Dara
    October 27, 2012 at 10:19 am (2 years ago)

Yummy! Hardest part was waiting 3 minutes per side.
    Took two tries to get heat perfect but once accomplished pancakes were the best. Added coconut and sliced almonds to a few while frying.

October 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm (2 years ago)

Yum!!

11. Daphne
    January 4, 2013 at 9:58 pm (2 years ago)

Do you have a brand of coconut flour you recommend? I’ve only used one so far and sucked the moisture out of everything. Looking forward to trying these.

January 5, 2013 at 7:40 am (2 years ago)

I use a store brand from Natural Grocers. I’ve also used Bobs Red Mill with success (I don’t use the organic one, though…coconut is one of those foods you can get away with not eating organic if you’re poor like me)

12. Nessa
    February 19, 2013 at 6:30 pm (2 years ago)

I have tried every variation of paleo pancakes out there, and my husband has hated almost all of them. We had started resorting to gluten free mixes for pancakes when we wanted them, and then I tried Paleo Mom’s plantain pancakes. If you’re still in search of the perfect paleo pancake, I would definitely suggest tinkering with some plantains. You don’t quite get the sweetness you do with bananas, though. Oh well, that’s what a bit of maple syrup is for, right? :)

February 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm (2 years ago)

I LOVE her pancakes!

13. Jay
    January 18, 2014 at 2:11 pm (9 months ago)

Way too thick. Turned out oozy. Bananas should be put in after these things are done cooking. Bananas do not fry well when blended. On to the next recipe. Thanks for taking a shot!

14. Shalonne
    February 15, 2014 at 9:45 am (9 months ago)

Very yummy! I used 3 small bananas since I had 3 on their last legs and a little less coco flour, maybe a centimeter below the 1/3. My kids loved them!

15. Jennifer
    March 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm (8 months ago)

Overall very yummy. I did find I could taste the baking soda, so will use a little less next time. Thanks for the detailed tips; patience & a low heat is definitely the key!

16. Julie
    March 26, 2014 at 11:17 am (7 months ago)

We are paleo newbies, and we loved these! Medium-low heat under the cast-iron griddle and patience is definitely the ticket.

17. Michelle
    April 1, 2014 at 10:20 pm (7 months ago)

These are absolutely the best thing I have had in 2 weeks of my paleo diet! LOVE THEM…I added dark chocolate chips to them. YUM

18. KimG
    April 12, 2014 at 11:27 am (7 months ago)

Wow! I just had these for breakfast and they were amazing! This is only the second time I’ve tried paleo pancakes, but this recipe was far better than the other I tried. My bananas were nearly black so I was worried they may not turn out well. The sweetness of them was just right though. I will be making these again next weekend!

19. Caroline
    May 1, 2014 at 11:30 pm (6 months ago)

Thanks for the recipe! These were delicious. I added blueberries and chia seeds to help with the consistency. Great!

20. Nat carter
    August 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm (3 months ago)

So happy I found this recipe this morning. These pancakes are deliciously light and wholesome at the same time. I’m sharing these with my readers!

21. S
    September 25, 2014 at 12:52 am (1 month ago)

Loved these!! I put everything in the blender and let in go for a minute and they came out so fluffy and nice. They burned a little – I left to get dressed and forgot about them- but with some peanut butter on top they still tasted amazing. I’m thinking almond butter tomorrow on them.

Thank you so much!!

22. liz
    October 6, 2014 at 9:10 pm (3 weeks ago)

Do they freeze well?

• camilla
      October 7, 2014 at 8:11 am (3 weeks ago)

Sure do. I layer them between sheets of parchment paper in a big ziploc and pop them in the toaster oven when I need ‘em.

8Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Banana Pancakes, plus a few Paleo Pancake Pointers

1. [...] Banana Pancakes, plus a few Paleo Pancake Pointers (tgipaleo.com) [...]

2. [...] all know just how much I yearn to find the perfect Paleo Pancake recipe…and while I don’t know if this is The One, I managed to put together an exceptionally [...]

3. [...] Banana Pancakes – so easy, so [...]

4. [...] if you don't want grains or dairy, these have come out GREAT (and I'm a pancake snob): Banana Pancakes, plus a few Paleo Pancake Pointers | Reply With [...]

5. […]  Banana Pancakes.  Banana Pancakes are great.  I mean, that guy wrote a song about them and […]

6. […] Adapted from tgipaleo […]

7. […] recently came across this AH-MAZING pancake recipe from TGIPaleo-one of my newest favorite Paleo recipe sites around!  I decided it was worth a try, […]