3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork

IMG_2274

I’ve been trying my hand at some more complicated recipes lately…and it stresses me out.  My red velvet fiasco comes to mind…I will never touch a beet again.  Ever.

So you might say I need some simplicity in my life.  Great segway, huh?  I had no intention of ever posting this recipe, to be completely honest.  I had pork shoulder that was meant for the crockpot (a weekly occurence in my house), but I noticed a lone can of pineapple in the bowels of the pantry.  Not one to waste food, I threw it in there with some ginger for good measure, and BOOM.  Awesome dinner.  Like, super tender, succulent, sweet, salty, savory…OMG.  Just do this.  It’s so easy it’s a crime not to.

4.5 from 2 reviews
3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

• 3-4 lbs Pork Shoulder
  • 1 can Crushed or Cubed Pineapple (in water)
  • 2 T Grated Ginger (or ½ t dry)
  1. Put pork in a crock pot.
  2. Dump the pineapple on top with all the liquid, too.
  3. Add the ginger.
  4. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.

29 Comments on 3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork

1. Kate
    March 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm (2 years ago)

Recipe looks yummy! Sorry but I have to point this out – segue is a transtion…segway is one of those silly stand up vehicles. Weird right?

2. Donna
    March 7, 2013 at 4:53 am (2 years ago)

This recipe looks too easy and good to be true. I’ll definitely try it. But I’m curious – in your description you say “salty”, but you add no salt to the recipe. How is it salty? Also, what is that you served it with? I believe in the back of the picture it’s mashed sweet potatoes, but what’s that in the front that looks like fried potatoes? Whatever it is, it looks delicious! It looks like fried potatoes and it’s making my mouth water!

March 7, 2013 at 7:09 am (2 years ago)

“Salt and pepper to taste” is an optional ingredient, but pork and pineapple both add a naturally “salty” flavor. The chunks in the front of the photo are bits of pineapple.

• kate
        April 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm (2 years ago)

Is canned pinneapple paleo? I am so used to this. I am on my 3rd day of the whole30..

• kate
          April 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

NEW to this.. hah

April 10, 2013 at 2:36 pm (2 years ago)

Yes, just make sure you check the labels. Organic pineapple in water is usually fine.

3. Arya
    March 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm (2 years ago)

This looks wonderful! What temperature/cooking time would you recommend for cooking this in a Dutch Oven?

March 11, 2013 at 6:49 am (2 years ago)

Try 250-300 degrees F for 5-6 hours, basting with the juices often.

4. Maggie
    March 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm (2 years ago)

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it :)
    Thank you for sharing it!

5. Rebecca
    March 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm (2 years ago)

I have converted some crock pot recipes to pressure cooker recipes. Do you think this is something that would come out just as great in a pressure cooker? I wonder how long I would cook for? Mine uses a steady 15 lbs of pressure.

Thanks!!

March 14, 2013 at 2:54 pm (2 years ago)

This is super embarrassing but I’ve NEVER used a pressure cooker before…considering that you can really cook this stuff as long as you want ( like all day while I’m at work), I can’t imagine it would be too hard to trial-and-error it in a pressure cooker?

6. Rachael
    March 22, 2013 at 8:13 pm (2 years ago)

What size is the can of pineapple?

March 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm (2 years ago)

I used an 18 oz can

• Jessie
        March 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm (2 years ago)

Would you suggest adding some sort of liquid if I wanted to use fresh cut pineapple? If so/what/how much?

March 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm (2 years ago)

You don’t really need to add any liquid at all…with the gradual heat, the pork produces a lovely broth!

• john
            December 8, 2013 at 10:49 pm (11 months ago)

I made this today, it was awesome. I added some cinnamon, garlic seasoning and pepper.

7. Angela
    January 16, 2014 at 9:31 am (9 months ago)

I am using a frozen all natural loin, would you still cook it on low or 6-8 hours of high for 4 and then to low?

January 17, 2014 at 9:08 am (9 months ago)

Whatever you wold normally do. If it needs to thaw, I’d say go ahead and do the high to low option!

8. Tracey
    February 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm (8 months ago)

I’m sorry, but this had no flavor at all. It was beyond bland. I added the 3 ingredients, added extra ginger just because we like it and the result was that every member of my family rejected it. Will try another of your recipes, but this won’t be making a comeback. Wish it turned out better.

• Michael
      October 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm (3 days ago)

I too found this terribly bland. I had to douse it with BBQ sauce to make it edible. I think the liquid smoke idea would be good, maybe searing it ahead of time for the Maillard (?). I like the idea of pineapple, maybe adding pineapple juice instead of the canned fruit liquid. And salt, definitely salt. Oh, and this site isn’t letting me rate the recipe lower than a four. I promise: it’s not a four. Not yet anyway.

9. Kathryn
    April 2, 2014 at 10:01 am (7 months ago)

Making this tomorrow! The only thing I plan to add is some garlic. Looks amazing! Thanks :)

10. Cindy
    April 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm (7 months ago)

I accidentally added 2 tsp. of dry ginger instead of 1/2 tsp. I did add a little tamari sauce and some salt and pepper. Do you think I ruined the dish? If so, how can I save the flavor?

11. RShaw
    May 1, 2014 at 8:02 am (6 months ago)

I’m from Hawai’i. We don’t actually dump pineapple on everything, including pizza. If you want real Hawaiian pulled pork, you need to make what’s known as Kalua Pig. The real thing is cooked in the ground, but people have made crock pot variations. And it mostly just requires pork butt (shoulder), liquid smoke (if you want to simulate the real thing), and Hawaiian salt (basically, coarse sea salt). Even better, you can try lining the crock pot with banana leaves, if you can find them. (Otherwise, I’ve read slicing open a banana, leave it in the peel, and then put it in on top; discard once the pork is fully cooked.) Salt the pork, add the smoke, and then cook for several hours. And it is very common nowadays to eat kalua pig with cabbage. Eat it with sweet potato, maybe do something with some coconut as dessert, and you’re very close to having something pretty authentic and paleo at the same time.

12. Tamie
    May 15, 2014 at 11:38 pm (5 months ago)

I have a similar recipe. Only I add 1/2 tbsp liquid smoke and douse shoulder liberally with pink salt before adding the pineapples and shredded cabbage. I’m going to try adding some ginger next time and see what I get. :) works well over par boiled rice.

May 16, 2014 at 7:49 am (5 months ago)

That sounds awesome…I’ve never trie liquid smoke on anything but it sound like I need to…

13. Zak
    August 25, 2014 at 7:55 pm (2 months ago)

This recipe was absolutey horrible. Followed the instructions and even added more seasoning and it was still ridiculously bland

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on 3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork

1. [...] 6. 3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork What’s more caveman than a recipe with only 3 ingredients. You have to imagine that they just did what they could with what they had at the time. The Paleo way of eating is to keep things simple, turn back the clock several thousands of years and eat what we think they were eating before everything started getting cultivated. Pork, pineapple, ginger, those are the three ingredients in play here. Pineapple of course is being used as the Hawaiian flavoring, and it just so happens that this is a Paleo approved food. Can’t go wrong with ginger and pork, as they’re both OK for Paleo eaters, and they play nicely together, especially when simmering together for hours. [...]

2. […] Hawaiian Pulled Pork – 3 ingredients! […]

3. […] 3 Ingredient Hawaiian Pulled Pork Prep time:  5 mins Cook time:  6 hours Total time:  6 hours 5 mins Serves: 6 Ingredients […]