Spicy Aztec Brownies

Don’t know if Aztecs would have eaten a spicy Paleo brownie, but these are definitely Mayan!!  HAHA!!

I know, I’m hilarious.  Thankfully no one could hear me talking last weekend because they were eating my brownies.  I mean, Holy Crap…SO GOOD.

I was in Boulder this past weekend visiting my sister and staying at my cousin’s house…and the biggest mistake anyone can make is giving me free reign of their kitchen.  Especially a NICE kitchen.  Among other things (Bacon Pie, anyone??), these little nuggets of glory were born.  And quickly consumed.  Ah, such is the circle of life.

1 c Palm Shortening (or Coconut Butter)

4 oz Baking Chocolate, melted in 1 T Coconut Oil

1/2 c Raw Honey

1/2 c Full Fat Coconut Milk

2 t Vanilla

3 Eggs, beaten

1/4 c Cocoa Powder

1 T Arrowroot Powder

1/2 t Cinnamon

1/8 t Nutmeg

1/4 t Cayenne Pepper (add an extra 1/4 t for a real kick!)

1 c Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips

Cream together the palm shortening, melted chocolate, eggs, honey, vanilla, and coconut milk.

Combine all of the dry ingredients and the seasonings.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine well.

Pour into a greased 9×9 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Remove from the oven and, while the brownies are still hot, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and allow to melt slightly.

18 Comments on Spicy Aztec Brownies

1. Becca
    August 17, 2012 at 6:37 am (2 years ago)

oh wow, i’m drooling at my desk right now :)

August 17, 2012 at 7:04 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! That’s what I’m goin’ for ;-)

2. teabagginit
    August 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm (2 years ago)

the aztecs definitely would’ve loved these! i love spicy chocolate!

August 19, 2012 at 6:29 am (2 years ago)

I hope so…and yes spicy chocolate is pretty much the best thing ever ;-)

3. roz
    August 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm (2 years ago)

Oo that sounds like a nice combo of spices! I sometimes spice up my coconut flour brownies with 1-2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp chipotle chile powder, 1 tsp espresso powder and 1/2 tsp of either ginger or cardamom (or 1/4 tsp cloves). The smokiness is unexpected and the heat sneaks up on you!

4. Julie
    August 20, 2012 at 6:43 am (2 years ago)

is there coconut flour in the recipe?

August 20, 2012 at 7:08 am (2 years ago)

Nope, just arrowroot

5. Jenny@HealthyMOChick
    August 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm (2 years ago)

Silly question…Where does one get palm shortening? Is this an online purchase? I have not been able to find it in the two grocery stores available to me as I live in a smaller town in the middle of Missouri. Kinda hard to convince people out this a way to carry good for you stuff.

August 22, 2012 at 9:00 pm (2 years ago)

Yes I get it off of Amazon! If there is any store that carries it I’d love to know where it is ;-)

• Paula
        February 21, 2013 at 4:59 am (2 years ago)

Vitacost.com is great website for natural cooking products n very reasonable prices…buy from there myself .

6. Jill
    September 3, 2012 at 11:23 am (2 years ago)

These are spectacular!! I have made them twice for non paleo folks and they couldn’t wait to get the recipe.

September 3, 2012 at 12:22 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, Jill!

7. Cath
    November 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm (2 years ago)

Coconut butter as a sub for palm shortening? Like the thick solid not the oil? Just dbl checking, it seems like that much coconut butter would make it pretty dense & dry. I’ve never used palm shortening. What about regular quality butter? Might that work?
    Thanks – it looks ah-MAZE-ing ;)

November 14, 2012 at 5:21 pm (2 years ago)

Coconut oil isn’t QUITE solid enough…you’ll get a goopy mess (well, a chocolate goopy mess isn’t necessarily a bad thing!). Same deal with regular butter, though you could add an extra tablespoon or two of arrowroot powder and that might help it hold together!

• Jo
        March 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm (2 years ago)

Just to clarify, are you saying yes, you can use coconut butter (made frim pulverised dried coconut, rather than the oil extracted from coconut) to replace palm shortening?

What about cacao butter as a substitute? It sets hard. I have never seen/used palm shortening either to know what it’s like.

And by baking chocolate, do you mean unsweetened 100% cocoa chocolate?

March 10, 2013 at 7:12 am (2 years ago)

Yes, you can use coconut butter. I haven’t cooked much with cacao butter but I be it would work, too!

8. Whitney
    January 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks so much for this recipe! I’m getting ready to make them for the second time this month. They really seem to hit the spot when I’m getting a powerful chocolate craving.
    Looking forward to trying your red velvet cupcake recipe for Valentine’s Day this year..

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Spicy Aztec Brownies

1. […] 22. Spicy Aztec Brownies If you’ve never considered making or eating a spicy brownie, you may want to give it a try. There’s something about chocolate and spice that go together nicely. These brownies are a nice mix of both. Cayenne pepper provides the heat, and there’s plenty of chocolate to spare because of the use of baking chocolate as well as Paleo-approved chocolate chips from Enjoy Life. As an added bonus the directions on this are super simple, keeping in line with the caveman-easy style of the Paleo way of eating and living. […]