Avocado Brownies

Holy Guacamole!

If you’ve actually been following me since the very beginning, you might remember these.  It’s pretty much the one recipe that has remained popular the whole time, and for good reason.

IMG_2458

Over the last year and a half I have made only miniscule changes to the recipe…I started using 2 big avocados (like fist-size?…I have big hands, I guess) rather than worrying too much about getting an exact amount, though I should note you want about a cup of puree.  But a little more won’t kill you.  Avocados are a superfood, remember?  Also, I found that halving the baking soda and using GF baking powder alongside it has given all of my baked goods a great texture.  This is because the baking soda is a basic agent that reacts with other stuff in the batter to get all bubbly and the baking powder has an acid (cream of tartar) already in it.  Chemistry is fun!  Just read your labels and make sure you get a GF and aluminum free baking powder…personally, I’m a fan of Featherweight Baking Powder.

So, yeah.  Avocados and chocolate are still like, secret besties.  If I’m gonna stuff my face with chocolate it might as well be sorta kinda good for me, right?  These are super fudgey and, trust me, do NOT taste like avocado.  Avocado is nature’s butter–it keeps these brownies so moist, even days later.  But I mean, if they last for DAYS…I’m sorry.  You’re not normal.  Nothing this good should survive the night ;-)

4.4 from 18 reviews
Avocado Brownies
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8

• 4 oz Baking Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
  • 1 T Coconut Oil
  • 2 Large Avocados (1 c puree...give or take)
  • ½ c Honey or Maple Syrup
  • ¼ c Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1 T Vanilla
  • 1 T Coconut Flour
  • 3 Eggs
  • ½ t Baking Soda
  • ½ t Gluten Free Baking Powder
  • ½ t Salt
  1. In a microwave safe bowl, stir together the coconut oil ans baking chocolate and nuke for about 20 seconds at a time until melted, stirring in between so it doesn't curdle.
  2. Puree the avocados in a food processor--make sure there are NO LUMPS. We want brownies, not guac.
  3. Fold the chocolate into the avocados in a large mixing bowl.
  4. With an electric mixer, beat the remaining ingredients into the batter until smooth.
  5. Grease an 8x8 pan and pour the batter, smoothing out the edges.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 mins. Cool and serve.

62 Comments on Avocado Brownies

1. Jennifer
    July 16, 2013 at 9:49 am (1 year ago)

4 oz of baking chocolate, is that unsweetened, semi sweet or bittersweet? Thanks

July 17, 2013 at 6:29 am (1 year ago)

Either one works well, but I use unsweet

2. Diana
    July 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm (1 year ago)

I just finished baking these and they smell FANTASTIC!!!! I can’t wait to try them! :D

July 17, 2013 at 6:29 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Diana!

3. Kristi
    July 18, 2013 at 11:56 am (1 year ago)

I’m new to Paleo and I despise coconuts. I found an oil that does not have that flavor, but haven’t tried coconut flour. I do not want to bake these 20.00 brownies and have them taste like coconut. Any feedback would be great :) Thanks!!

July 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm (1 year ago)

With so little it won’t taste like coconut at all. If you’re worried about it, though, or are hypersensitive to the flavor, just use 1.5 T of arrowroot powder.

• Kristi
        July 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much!! I didn’t even notice the amount needed, haha. I just saw coconut and freaked out :) Can’t wait to try!!

• Lolly
          June 4, 2014 at 3:25 pm (2 months ago)

Just FYI expeller pressed coconut oil has no flavor and you still get all the benefits of coconut oil! I react to coconut and coconut flour so I know what u mean!

• Beth Robeson
      February 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm (5 months ago)

My kids dislike the taste of coconut too, so I developed these. They only have 3 ingredients:

Cocoa Powder
      Dates
      Almond Butter

And they are amazing!!! Here’s the recipe, http://www.healthykidsfast.com/amazing-paleo-brownies-recipe/

I also use whole oat flour to make brownies that are very yummy. A few whole grains once in a while is ok on the paleo diet.

4. Aimee
    July 23, 2013 at 4:46 pm (1 year ago)

I am going to make these tonight. These look awesome!

5. Kim McConkey
    July 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm (12 months ago)

OMG I LOVE these brownies which is odd because I don’t like avocados! In an effort to eat better/cleaner I made these hoping for the best but expecting the worst (those green things? Really?) and I’m happy to say you’ve proved me wrong! Thank you for showing me how to love avocados!! Can’t wait to try the Aztec Brownies!

6. Kymber
    August 18, 2013 at 12:21 am (11 months ago)

holy moly…these are SO yummy. NO hint of avocado taste (and I LOVE avocados). Hubby…who is NOT paleo gobbled them up too and had NO idea what is in them. So moist. I seriously had to put the extras in the freezer to keep me from eating the entire pan full.

7. Jess
    September 12, 2013 at 11:09 am (10 months ago)

I made these last night. Wow. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the human race.

8. Sam
    September 15, 2013 at 8:41 pm (10 months ago)

Just made these – and yes, they are AMAZING! even my hubby loves them and he doesn’t like any veggies or fruit.. thankfully he wasn’t in the kitchen when I made them tonight :)
    Thanks for sharing!

9. Donna
    October 27, 2013 at 11:43 am (9 months ago)

These were TERRIBLE. The texture was too wet, the chocolate too bitter. I think definitely use milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate, one less egg and more coconut flour. Next time I’ll try that.

10. Laurie
    November 7, 2013 at 8:17 am (9 months ago)

Awesome Brownies!! I had only 1 avocado on hand though so I use 1 avo. and 1 banana, made 1 cup total…and they turned out amazing!! I love that they are not too sweet like give-me-a-glass-of-milk-right-now sweet, you can actually taste the cocoa. I used unsweetened chocolate as well. Thanks for sharing!

November 7, 2013 at 8:44 am (9 months ago)

Thanks, Laurie!

11. Karissa
    November 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm (8 months ago)

I made these over the weekend… they were so fantastic! Tasted as brownie as I could have imagined. I did end up cooking mine for about 45 minutes and seemed to only get better the next day. I put a few nuts in mine and paired it with some coconut cream whip… BOOM. Delicious

12. Lynn
    December 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm (8 months ago)

My husband and sons even liked these….so, it’s a hit. I want to make these for school, but cannot use coconut flour. What is a good substitute?

December 2, 2013 at 8:08 am (8 months ago)

I would us 2 tablespoons of tapioca starch or arrowroot flour. Definitely hit it all with an electric mixer so it doesn’t get lumpy!

13. Rosalind
    December 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm (7 months ago)

Recipe sounds great, I’m going to make it. Just want to be certain T means teaspoon not tablespoon? Thanks

December 12, 2013 at 8:23 am (7 months ago)

T = Tablespoon
      t = teaspoon

14. Sarah
    January 17, 2014 at 7:04 pm (6 months ago)

I just made these for the first time and WOW! I can’t imagine ever going back to regular brownies again. These were amazing!!

January 18, 2014 at 7:22 am (6 months ago)

I’m so glad you like them!

15. Melissa
    January 23, 2014 at 9:34 am (6 months ago)

Can I substitute almond meal/flour for the coconut flour?

January 23, 2014 at 11:27 am (6 months ago)

Hmm…the purpose of the coconut flour is to absorb moisture and act as a binder. Almond flour doesn’t act the same way. You can sub tapioca or arrowroot powder if needed.

• Melissa
      January 23, 2014 at 9:08 pm (6 months ago)

This did not turn out for me. I meticulously followed the recipe because I so wanted these to turn out. The texture was awful. It was a wet, heavy spongey texture. The flavor was not great and left a bad taste/feeling in my mouth. I so wanted these to turn out…

• Missy
        February 13, 2014 at 1:38 am (5 months ago)

I agree! I loved the chocolateyness (if that’s even a word), but the after taste was of wet dog :-( I think it was the eggs. I wasn’t surprised by the texture, though. The black bean brownies I’ve tried have a similar texture. I wonder how I can get rid of the eggy wet dog taste…yuck.

16. Brianna
    January 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm (6 months ago)

Ould it be possible to use stevia? My dad is diabetic and really shouldn’t have any form of sugar

January 25, 2014 at 8:39 pm (6 months ago)

I’ve honestly never baked with stevia, but it’s worth a try. I honestly don’t see why not!

17. Suzanne
    February 2, 2014 at 7:27 pm (6 months ago)

Delicious! This was my first ever Paleo recipe. Brownies were fudgy and so moist. I followed the recipe exactly. Perfection.

18. Cheryl
    February 2, 2014 at 8:19 pm (6 months ago)

What is the nutritional information for these?

19. Bonnie Marks
    February 6, 2014 at 10:06 am (6 months ago)

These brownies were super moist, delicious! I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2-T of coconut flour, used milk chocolate chips…

• Missy
      February 13, 2014 at 1:43 am (5 months ago)

Hi :-) Did the extra Tablespoon of coconut flour give the brownies a less dense texture? I might have to try that.

20. Angela F
    February 10, 2014 at 7:19 pm (5 months ago)

Wow! Was expecting these to come out decent at best, but I was wrong. They’re AMAZING, Definitely a different texture than regular brownies, but these are so moist and delicious!

21. Missy
    February 13, 2014 at 1:42 am (5 months ago)

Did anyone else end up with a terrible after taste? I think it might be the eggs. It was sort of an eggy, wet dog taste. I was severely disappointed. I made 2 batches in 2 days and both tasted the same. Any suggestions? I see one commenter stated that she added 2 T of coconut flour. I wonder if that would help detract from that after taste. I could taste the chocolate and it was good :-) But I just can’t get beyond that bad taste of egg or wet dog or whatever.

February 13, 2014 at 6:33 am (5 months ago)

Hmmm…you’re giving me a good excuse to okay around with the recipe on my snow day…I’ll see what I can do!

• Sheila
      February 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm (5 months ago)

I also had the same wet dog taste but also had a poor consistency despite following the recipe exactly. It wasn’t the eggs as ours were farm fresh from my own hens. They had a consistency of wet cake-like pudding. Yuck. My husband couldn’t even finish one and he eats 99.9% of what I make. Very disappointing.

22. Sheila
    February 14, 2014 at 12:27 pm (5 months ago)

Forgot to rate these

23. Simi
    March 1, 2014 at 10:36 am (5 months ago)

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I personally do not like avocados at all, so I was pretty skeptical as to whether it would taste good. I like that it’s not too sweet, because it brings out the slight bitterness in the brownie, in which I think all brownies should have. My mother gave the thumbs up too!! (for someone who does not eat desserts) would definitely make this again!!

24. john
    March 3, 2014 at 12:38 pm (5 months ago)

Just use almond flour or almond meal if you don’t like coconut flour. You people make way to big a deal out of this. It’s not rocket science.

25. Diksha
    March 18, 2014 at 6:24 am (4 months ago)

I’m using wholemeal self raising flour. Hope this is okay?

26. Maddie
    March 20, 2014 at 9:59 pm (4 months ago)

Fantastic recipe used gloden. Syrup instead wS trying to use up what I had at home

27. newtopaleo
    March 20, 2014 at 11:43 pm (4 months ago)

I made these substituting white sugar for honey and used milk chocolate chips. I’m sorry to say that they are inedible to me. For some reason, the batter tasted delicious though, like pudding.

28. Sjanette
    March 22, 2014 at 1:01 pm (4 months ago)

Hi, do you use a convection oven on 350?

29. Raylene
    March 25, 2014 at 10:10 pm (4 months ago)

These are delicious. The batter reminds me of boxed chocolate cake mix batter…I could eat this by itself. I make some substitutions to omit the chocolate chips (not paleo) and add in some spinach and they are amazing!

30. Rob
    May 2, 2014 at 3:06 pm (3 months ago)

These are great!!!!! 2nd batch made in just over a week. We devour them. 5 1/2 year old absolutely loves them. So healthy. So tasty. I don’t understand some of the comments and substitutions people make. Makes little sense to me. These brownies are a winner on all fronts. Brownies for breakfast with no worries. Gotta love it!!!!!

31. ellie
    June 22, 2014 at 4:15 am (1 month ago)

Texture was beautiful but mine had the wet dog taste too! So hard to explain but I think it might be the avocado. Ours are quite strong in flavour and come off our avo tree. Next time might use half the avo and add a banana?

14Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Avocado Brownies

1. [...] to add moisture to your muffins, bars and breads. Like in these avocado carrot & honey muffins, avocado in brownies to make them decadently fudgey, and these avocado-coconut cowboy cookies are also looking really [...]

2. [...] Avocado Brownies (tgipaleo.com) [...]

3. […] 4. Avocado Brownies Avocados are so healthy for you that you should really find a way to incorporate them into your Stone Age diet plan. They have potassium and fiber and healthy fats, and they just plain taste good. But here’s a way to use avocados that we’d never seen before, and it’s going to take your concept of what a brownie is and stand it on its head. All of the ingredients used are Paleo approved so you can eat these without feeling too guilty. Of course your main meals should be full of meats and veggies, but it’s nice to have a sweet treat on occasion to break up any monotony. […]

4. […] took a recipe from TGIpaleo and played a bit with it until it seemed like the right constancy/flavor.  Instead of fudge […]

5. […] I made avocado brownies for the first time! Yummy […]

6. […] Avocado Brownies Another favorite. Though it is includes Coconut flour as an ingredient which might be hard to find […]

7. […] 16. Paleo Avocado Brownies Recipe […]

8. […] a girl to do?  So I searched online and discovered this EASY and simple recipe found on TGIPaleo. This recipe is a keeper.  The only thing I changed is that the brownies needed an extra 15+ […]

9. […] brownie receptet fick jag från Emma som tränar på samma CrossFit box , CrossFit Göta som jag. Här hittade jag receptet på nätet. Jag har gjort om originalreceptet lite. Om ni behöver en […]

10. […] to gluten-free, and so has my husband. For them, instead of the traditional brownies, I made this avocado and coconut flour version, with a raspberry sauce for extra […]