Avocado Ranch Dressing (Dairy Free)

Who said salad had to be boring?  Well…me.  Trust me, it took a LONG time to get used to eating so much salad after I went Paleo–a lot of the time it’s just the easiest option whether you’re packing your lunch or just trying to order something at a restaurant.  But its not the salad part that gives people fits, it’s the lack of good dressing.  Oil and vinegar gets real old, real quick.

IMG_2423

This dressing is good for more than salads, though.  I use it on sweet potato fries, on top of chicken and fish, and I made a killer casserole with it that I’ll be sharing soon.  There’s a reason we all love the original Ranch dressing, just not all the nasty chemicals, additives, seed oils, and dairy.  Clearly I’ll be keeping this stuff around!

4.3 from 6 reviews

• ¼ t Salt
  • ¼ t Black Pepper
  • 2 T Fresh Dill
  • 2 T Fresh Chives
  • ¼ t Paprika
  • ¼ t Cayenne Pepper
  1. Pulse the avocados in a food processor until broken up.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients. Pulse to combine, then puree till smooth.
  3. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

22 Comments on Avocado Ranch Dressing (Dairy Free)

1. Teresa
    August 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm (1 year ago)

This recipe is amazing. Made some this morning and it was fabulous. Looking forward to putting it on everything. Super yummy!

August 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm (1 year ago)

Awesome! It really does go well with everything. Try it on eggs!

2. beckie w
    September 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm (1 year ago)

Whole30 compliant, idiot proof & super yummy! My kids love it. They want it for salads, dips & with wings.
    I froze half of it in smaller containers since I don’t think we will use the whole thing before it goes bad.

3. Derek
    September 22, 2013 at 10:54 pm (1 year ago)

I wasn’t impressed with this recipe. It was very spicy compared to conventional “avocado ranch” and I had a VERY hard time getting my kids to have seconds. I wish I had a good recommendation for an improvement, but I am currently at a loss. Unfortunately, I give this a thumbs down.

Will post later regarding potential improvements, if any….

September 23, 2013 at 6:43 am (1 year ago)

Hmmmm…maybe cut back on the pepper?

• Di
      January 13, 2014 at 2:21 am (10 months ago)

Derek, I would leave out the cayenne or reduce it to an 1/8tsp.

4. Shane
    November 17, 2013 at 12:16 pm (12 months ago)

I’m wondering if Derek used cayenne powder or chopped cayenne…HUGE difference in the amount of heat – at least in my house. My cayenne powder packs quite a punch so I’ll be adding a bit less than the 1/4 tsp. that’s called for…

5. Di
    January 13, 2014 at 2:19 am (10 months ago)

What size can of coconut milk as we have several different sizes in Australia.

January 13, 2014 at 7:35 am (10 months ago)

14 oz

6. Ciellle
    January 20, 2014 at 11:39 pm (9 months ago)

I think you’re on to something! Since going Paleo I have been on a quest for a delicious salad dressing with healthy oils. Vinaigrette is OK now and then, but I like to eat 2 salads a day and it is just too much. The texture of this is PERFECT. I will continue working with the spices to suit my taste, but I wanted to say thanks because I think you have saved me. I either needed to give up salads (love them) or cheat on the dressing (bad idea!).

7. Brooke
    January 29, 2014 at 12:20 pm (9 months ago)

Will low fat coconut milk work just as well?

January 29, 2014 at 1:43 pm (9 months ago)

Sure…it just won’t be as rich. Add about a 1/4-1/2 cup less so the consistency stays the same…

8. Alex
    January 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm (9 months ago)

I made a jalapeno & cilantro version last night because I didn’t have any of the herbs for a ranch and it was incredible. Thank you for the inspiration!

January 29, 2014 at 7:01 pm (9 months ago)

That sounds incredible…how much of each did you put in? I think that might be perfect for the Super Bowl!

• Sue
      March 2, 2014 at 12:07 am (8 months ago)

I would love to know what the how much jalapeño and cilantro you put in too. I love cilantro.

9. Missy
    February 4, 2014 at 9:29 am (9 months ago)

I don’t typically use dressing for my salads, but this sounds wonderful. I can’t wait to give it a try!

10. Teeky28
    April 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm (6 months ago)

I usually saute or roast my veggies because I don’t like dressings. But I bought steaks and locally-grown greens today and really wanted a salad. I am thrilled with this recipe! Very tasty. I’m going to try it on my eggs in the morning. Thank you!!!

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Avocado Ranch Dressing (Dairy Free)

1. [...] Avocado Ranch Dressing  [...]

2. […] 13. Avocado Ranch Dressing What can make Ranch dressing even better? Avocados! Not only do they lend their distinctive flavor, but they provide an extra creamy and smooth texture, and loads of healthy benefits. They have plenty of fiber and healthy fat, as well as potassium and a bit of protein, not to mention an assortment of vitamins and minerals. This recipe uses no dairy whatsoever, with coconut milk getting the call instead. Dill, chives, paprika, and cayenne pepper combine nicely to provide that classic Ranch flavor, with an avocado tossed in to make it seem like you’re at a restaurant like Chili’s, which is renowned for their Avocado Ranch dipping sauce that comes with their Southwestern Eggrolls. […]

3. […] got the recipe off of TGIPaleo. I didn’t have fresh chives, so I dropped in fresh cilantro. I used Dill seasoning since I […]

4. […] ranch recipe, here. So easy, and so […]